TV yellow finish- help!

Reaction score
Hi folks

I have been working on my LP Special build. I am having a nightmare with the TV yellow finish and am on the verge of deffing it and going for a solid finish rather than the trans yellow over a white base coat.

i have just sanded the finish off for the second time. I won’t bore you with what didn’t work.

this is what I have planned for my third attempt:

2 coats white primer light sand
mahogany stained grain filler wiped clean
yellow “straw” (rustoleum) sprayed onto a rag soaked with white (mineral) spirit (squeezed to damp) and wiped over the white primer X 2. Light sand.

2 or 3 coats of clear gloss poly.

i might even try it on a piece of board first!

any views on wiping on the yellow paint with a cloth? When I sprayed it, it obliterated the grain completely.

all wisdom gratefully received.
cheers

steve

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, first of all, you don't need a trans yellow coat over white.

Here's how it's done.

Sand it down, make sure the pores are open. Blow it out really well with the air hose. You want open pores right now.

Give it a thin wash coat of opaque white lacquer. It's only an undercoat. Let it dry a day. Maybe two. You want it to shrink back and expose those pores.

Now spray your color coat. TV yellow is not bright, canary yellow, taxicab yellow or fireplug yellow. It is a pale mustard.

Now after that color coat dries well and shrinks back some (two more days), you grain fill.

Keep the grain filler flexible and loose, like pudding. Put it on across the grain, squeegee it off at 45 degrees to the grain.

Clean it off good, use a damp rag to get off the excess. With the squeegee, use an auto body squeegee or something supple and soft.

You may need a second app of the grain filer. Fine. do that. Clean it off good.

Now you lay down your clear coats.

Reaction score
Ok, that makes good sense. I think I will try that for my “third time lucky“!

the challenge now is to remove all the old grain filler from the pores. I think I will give it a brush with a brass wire brush and white spirit before I start.

many thanks

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the wire brush. Maybe hit it with some 120 grit after that. Then after 120 , go to 220 for a final sand.

Then blow the pores out good with air.

BTW, a lot of folks tend to take the yellow in the wrong direction. It's definitely a "less is more" situation. You get too rich, you end up with a fire hydrant with strings on it.

You start with a white opaque base. Then add yellow and a bit of brown and a drop or two of green. to get it to a mustard, like this:
57_lptv-jr2_6 (1).jpg

The key, is pale. Just a few shades off of the white will get you there.

Some early models had a white grain filler, later models a dark filler, either neutral gray or mahogany color.

Oddly, there aren't that many true pictures of vintage TV jrs and specials out there that haven't been refinished.

Here is a good site to get pics of the real-deal TV colors, as well as other Jr and Special colors.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
LtDave - The TV Juniors on that site you linked to are friggin' gorgeous!
That site, Tex... They have the best examples of everything. Well cared-for players that aren't "case queens". You know, you could walk into any of a half-dozen guitar shops in the Hollywood area and see dozens of jrs, specials, teles, SGs, strats... all for around $200.00. Way back in the day, of course. I remember seeing mustard-colored Jr's and specials all over the place .

Reaction score
Lt Dave

I abandoned the wire brush and went back through the grits, starting at 80, which seems to have unclogged most of the pores.

I will report back with some photos when it is done.

all the best

valvetoneman

Reaction score
TV yellow tries your patience like no other for me when I started doing them
I use a whitewash coat that goes on fairly dry then I'll grain fill with dark mahogany then I'll mix up amber but you need to add brown to it or it goes too yellow
For some reason DC juniors always seem more yellow than a SC
Here's one of mine and it came out lovely to me and not too yellow
Screenshot_20200523-001030~2_copy_810x993.png

Reaction score
Bit of an update with pictures!

I am working with rattle cans, so I don’t have the option of mixing my own colours. All my previous builds have been French polished shellac, so paint is an interesting new avenue for me!

So have done some experimenting. I have done a thin white base coat. Then I shot my colour coat -strawflower. My final stage will be to wait until the paint is properly dry, the go over with french polish.

i tried grain filling, but it made a real mess of the colour coat. Probably because my Rustins Grainfiller is spirit based.

the shellac will fill the pores. Here are the pictures so far. My yellow doesn’t show well in the photoS. It will darken after the French polish. More to come when I have done the shellac work.

B52CCF21-445D-4ABF-853F-9D2A52BED82B.jpeg
DB804036-ECED-4088-BEBA-FA89E1A6ADD6.jpeg
874F4079-0AC9-40E1-80C3-7BC82AA130A0.jpeg
3BC488E7-9CA2-4CF6-AFBE-9A24692797AB.jpeg
DB537EBE-47EF-4213-A21C-D4449C0CB67D.jpeg
2CEBDF8C-3F5C-4A9F-B49F-763A4E10F50C.jpeg

Latest Threads