Tutorial on Japanese guitar auctions and importing?

Lumi71

Reaction score
Sorry for you. Did not happen to me once in about 50 shipments with fedex and fromjaopan.
Anyway I would call this a good experience- at least you can be sure to get a refund if something unexpected occurs...

currypowder

Reaction score
I'm really glad FedEx finally stepped up and compensated you.

This was definitely an outlier from my and others experience. That it happened to you on your very first try is nothing short of amazing (in a bad way).

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm very glad it's resolved now, but yes, that was like the worst part, that it happened on your first buy from Japan. That would likely have soured me as well to the experience.

E.X

Reaction score
Prices look to be about the same. For those in the EU, the charge for a FedEx shipping was 22000 jy for me, ie 164 euro. Just putting it out there for the sake of comparison.

* that's of course before it got stopped at customs; that 164 isn't the real amount, gave FedEx a lot more in total; you've got the local VAT -naught to do with FedEx-, the state's fee for handling -likewise- and then you've got the FedEx fee for doing the processing on your behalf; that last bit's on top of the 164 euro they originally ask from you. Self evident, but just so as to have it all written down.

** EMS is fine in itself, assuming that it has 'operators' in your country; otherwise, your parcel changes hands. Then it can potentially be a whole 'nother matter; where i am for example? No way would i want the state Post (or the one private company it often outsources to) handling my guitar package, nuh uh, thanks. FedEx on the other hand, at your door either way.
Worth noting this.

Last edited:

Lumi71

Reaction score
Do you use Fromjapan?
I am in Germany and my rate for 1 guitar is about 15k yen mostly.
Btw- if you register at Fedex and allow direct debit they wont charge you any handling fees...

Latest Threads