Tutorial on Japanese guitar auctions and importing?

zombywoof

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I call FAST!!! Less than a week start to finish. You couldn't get FedEx to deliver that fast from the west coast for what it cost to get it to the US from Japan.
Damn skippy!

I ordered it Wednesday evening. Saturday night FJ had it ready for the 2nd leg of it's Journey. Sunday morning I paid $162 USD for FedEx with Adult Signature Required. Today (Tuesday-before Noon) I had the guitar in hand.
****That $162 covered all shipping and handling****

Last edited:

zombywoof

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're less than 300 miles from me and if I remember correctly, that's about how long it took to receiver the Tokai from you.

currypowder

Reaction score
Shipping time from Japan is definitely shorter. It takes 2 days from me to you. With the exception of the couple of weeks disrupted by the snowstorm, when I wake up to a notice of shipment from FromJapan, the guitar is in my hands by noon the next day. Every time.

zombywoof

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twenty-two Hrs. for 300 miles. 18 Hrs from Japan to my door. Pretty close.

Last edited:

m5570

Reaction score
I tried to set up shipping on 2 guitars with FJ the other day & shipping had gone up - $190 each. I thought I’d wait & just checked, still the same.

edit: played with it a little & if they ship both its $158 each. Still higher than before but better.

Last edited:

zombywoof

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last one 18 hours from Japan to my door. This one stuck in Customs for over two days now. Finally got in touch with a rep who adjusted the paperwork. We'll see when it starts moving again.
Like Greg said, Don't have it leave Japan on the weekend bound for the US. They route thru Anchorage and customs likes to flag them for an unnecessary TSCA form. (2nd time for me)

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Just be carefull for any hidden potential issues, many auctions are written or photographed in a clever way to hide stuff.
Whenever a seller writes "I don't know" or "I didn't test it" or "we don't have the knowledge to test this" (or really any answer other than a very clear yes or no), 100% means it's broken or not working.
You will also see many items listed as "junk" on some auction sites, this basicly means they are selling the item as "not working" so you can't make any claims or returns when there is something broken.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Make sure you know all additional costs and fees when using a proxy
Make sure you know what taxes/fees you need to pay when importing stuff. Make sure you know HOW those taxes are calculated. Some guitars might look dirt cheap during the intitial auction but when they finally arrive at your door you might have paid more than you were prepared for.

Unless you are dealing with very reputable sellers or top-dollar items, be prepared to live with any flaws and defects that werent mentioned in the auction, because returning the item often isn't worth the additional cost.

Final advice:

Buy from Japan when:
- You like to gamble
- Can accept a loss
- Want a specific guitar that you just can't find back home

Don't buy from Japan when:
- You're just looking for a good deal

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
I love my Edwards Goldtop, which arrived a few days ago. And when I go on ebay there are still 3 fraudulent Japan sellers advertising it for sale. LOL. So if you are thinking it's better to just buy an MIJ guitar thru a JP seller on ebay be aware that most of them are frauds.

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the help of Roxy13 I have bought a History ZLS90 through From Japan. This will be my first guitar purchased directly from Japan.
I think I found a bargain here folks.
Again, thanks to Roxy13 for all her help!

77703F62-3713-471D-928E-FDF35B6B71D7.jpeg
3ECBA978-B387-4CD7-AD90-F1AA3021FDB6.jpeg
4E2BC598-5FB3-4AB2-A583-F162F3327E36.jpeg

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just hit Anchorage.
Was at the Tokyo airport for 1 week.
I think the guitar was having separation anxiety and just did not want to leave home!

BadMongo

Reaction score
@Roxy13 helped me a lot as well, and has been kind enough to listen and offer advice on all my questionable ideas as I get back in the swing of guitar repair. Gentlewoman and a scholar.
That's a might fine looking guitar man, love me some FujiGen.

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The saga continues.
Well, waiting on my guitar to arrive...

It was at the Tokyo airport for almost a week. Saturday it got to Anchorage. Sunday to Memphis, with
a schedule delivery date for Monday. Monday came and went, no guitar.

FedEx has not given me a new delivery date. FedEx is very hard to get a live person on the phone to talk with. The 2 gentlemen I talked with informed me someone would call me back. No call back yet.
Very frustrating to pay for Express delivery and not have a clue when this is to be delivered.

Rant over.
Thanks for listening, I feel better now. ;)

currypowder

Reaction score
The saga continues.
Well, waiting on my guitar to arrive...

It was at the Tokyo airport for almost a week. Saturday it got to Anchorage. Sunday to Memphis, with
a schedule delivery date for Monday. Monday came and went, no guitar.

FedEx has not given me a new delivery date. FedEx is very hard to get a live person on the phone to talk with. The 2 gentlemen I talked with informed me someone would call me back. No call back yet.
Very frustrating to pay for Express delivery and not have a clue when this is to be delivered.

Rant over.
Thanks for listening, I feel better now. ;)
I know it's frustrating, I've been there myself. But it'll eventually get to you and all of that frustration will wash away.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I feel bad you don't have it yet, but it will be worth it! And it's probably still faster than a year ago at this time when a bunch got stuck in airports right as they shut down EMS. I had a month wait on my last ones I squeezed out of there using EMS.

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guy’s. I am usually pretty positive about life in general, just getting worn-down with every delay, out-of-stock, every poor service situation being blamed on COVID.

Latest Threads