Tuning to Eb

rafke182

Reaction score
Hi Y,all

I have a question for you about tuning your guitar to Eb.

What if your guitar is tuned to E standard and you play a blues song in Key of A, the first shape of pentatonic starts at the 5th fret of the low E.

Where does the first shape on A begin when your guitar is tuned to Eb, does it start at the 4th or 6th fret?

Sorry for the noob question...

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Visualize it this way...

If you're in Eb and put a capo on the first fret, you are now in E, right?... count up five frets and that puts you on the 6th.

NotScott

Reaction score
I used to keep a Strat or two tuned to Eb or D and it made them sound huge. 10s tuned to Eb will do a mean SRV! However, when I started gigging my Kemper, I preferred to use the transpose FX and keep all of my guitars tuned standard. Now that I am back to tubes, I may drop the tuning on one of the Strats again.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for others, but if I am not in an open tuning (for Stones songs or slide of sorts), I always play in standard. it's hard enough for me to keep track of things in standard - LOL

Playing along with recordings and/or backing tracks while tuned to Eb almost always requires a capo. More trouble than it's worth. And, playing out only really works if everyone is in Eb. Again, more trouble than it's worth... for me.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this means a lot to me

I find my strat sounds a lot better now.

Does many of you play exclusifly in Eb or standard tuning?
Always in standard for me.

ARandall

Reaction score
If everyone is tuned 1/2 step down, then you typically just play the instruments as if they were tuned to normal E.

I can't imagine tuning just 1 instrument in a band differently.......that would be pure hell.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this means a lot to me

I find my strat sounds a lot better now.

Does many of you play exclusifly in Eb or standard tuning?
The SweatHogs play everything in Eb. The audience has no clue. Makes a 2 hour set MUCH easier on the vocalists, who are a trio of old men trying to sound like Rock's top vocalists in their prime.

Latest Threads