Tuning Issues ( Anybody )

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
The only time I have a tuning issue is when I play.....

joking aside...

What gets me is temperature change from cold to warm of vise versa ….once everything equilibriums its usually all good. Living in Michigan....those of you living in dream climates may not ever see this.

the other thing is the G string sometimes needs a bit of graphite to get rid of the ping during tuning....that's it

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You know, thinking about it, we haven't had a 'Tuning' thread in some time.
I think the last really good one was done by @Malikon ... here:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
All in the set-up and making sure there is no slop in the hardware. Fancy string locking/wrapping techniques are totally un-necessary.
I'll do my double square knot with a string ball in between if I want to...

:cool:

Dolebludger

Reaction score
The only reason a Fender player would have a problem keeping a LP in tune is that the strings cross the nut at an angle on a LP, and cross straight on with a Fender. This means that the filing of the nut slots, and the lube thereof, are more important things on a LP. While the LP headstock does put more friction on the strings passing through the nut slots, the Fender headstock design is not free of this friction either. So proper nut filing and lube is important with a Fender as well.

The only reason locking tuners would come into this discussion would be if the string wrap around a standard tuner were somewhat slack. There are a number of theories on how to do the wrap properly. But in any event, stretch the strings after installing new ones. And never put new strings on any guitar right before an important gig. I have locking tuners on one (out of 12) guitar, and I love them on that guitar. But it is not a LP, has strings straight through the nut, so I don’t know how they would work on a LP. And I don’t feel lockers are that much better so as to cause me to put them on my other 11 guitars.

Last edited:

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
You forgot "allot".
There are numerous grammatical errors. He missed a period at the very end...and the whole post read like a giant sales pitch. There were words in bold, capitalized phrases, underlined words in parenthesis. Then he went on to mention, "There's your first mistake."

To his credit, "there's," was used, spelled and apostrophized correctly. :laugh2:

Ehh...whatevs.

meatball

Reaction score
No issue with my Goldtop .. none .. I have plenty of wounds on my machine post . I also use the Grover Deluxr on my . I took the Kluson off the week I got mine . I had a proper intonation job done on it and take it back in every two years for an oil change . I use the Big Bends Nut Sause on the bridge and the nut also . Its done .. no issues . I would start with the Grovers and a good luthier oil change

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
Never had any tuning or intonation issues on any of my LP's either, sometimes they needed a good setup to get them there but after that they're pretty rock solid

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've done that kind of string wrap exactly twice in 45 years.
Last weekend, I changed strings on one of those guitars.
I will not be doing it that way again.

How I've done it other than those 2 times for 45 years and never had tuning problems... on all of my guitars except the 3 with locking tuners....
Stick it through, one wrap above the tail, the rest (1-2) below the tail.
I left the tails a bit long on this one because I was loosening them repeatedly...

Only tuning issue on my Lester is when it comes out of the case, the "G" is a touch flat. Dunno why, it tunes up and holds tune for the session.

Stringwrap.jpg

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
There are numerous grammatical errors. He missed a period at the very end...and the whole post read like a giant sales pitch. There were words in bold, capitalized phrases, underlined words in parenthesis. Then he went on to mention, "There's your first mistake."

To his credit, "there's," was used, spelled and apostrophized correctly. :laugh2:

Ehh...whatevs.
There, their, they’re.....calm down, grammar Nazi. ;)

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The only reason a Fender player would have a problem keeping a LP in tune is that the strings cross the nut at an angle on a LP, and cross straight on with a Fender. This means that the filing of the nut slots, and the lube thereof, are more important things on a LP. While the LP headstock does put more friction on the strings passing through the nut slots, the Fender headstock design is not free of this friction either. So proper nut filing and lube is important with a Fender as well.

The only reason locking tuners would come into this discussion would be if the string wrap around a standard tuner were somewhat slack. There are a number of theories on how to do the wrap properly. But in any event, stretch the strings after installing new ones. And never put new strings on any guitar right before an important gig. I have locking tuners on one (out of 12) guitar, and I love them on that guitar. But it is not a LP, has strings straight through the nut, so I don’t know how they would work on a LP. And I don’t feel lockers are that much better so as to cause me to put them on my other 11 guitars.
Locking tuners are a crutch. They make it so much easier to change strings.. period. A side benefit is that you don't have to deal with slipping, if you don't get the proper wrap.

I use them because they just work, every time.

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
I kid you not... my LP stayed in-tune for over a year in it's case under my bed. I only pulled it out recently to loosen all the strings/release their tension as it's unlikely it will be played any time soon, and was surprised it was still perfectly in tune.

MSB

Reaction score
I kid you not... my LP stayed in-tune for over a year in it's case under my bed. I only pulled it out recently to loosen all the strings/release their tension as it's unlikely it will be played any time soon, and was surprised it was still perfectly in tune.
with properly stretched strings in a case in a room that probably won't see quick temp swings, that is exactly what should be expected imo.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've done that kind of string wrap exactly twice in 45 years.
Last weekend, I changed strings on one of those guitars.
I will not be doing it that way again.

How I've done it other than those 2 times for 45 years and never had tuning problems... on all of my guitars except the 3 with locking tuners....
Stick it through, one wrap above the tail, the rest (1-2) below the tail.
I left the tails a bit long on this one because I was loosening them repeatedly...

Only tuning issue on my Lester is when it comes out of the case, the "G" is a touch flat. Dunno why, it tunes up and holds tune for the session.

View attachment 434311

I do the overlap on wound strings. With the overlap, the string damn sure ain't gonna pull. Little to gain with the loopback tuck....

I like the loopback tuck for plains.... Everybody should have a dental pick set on the guitar bench.

I use the 3M Synthetic 0000 Steel Wool (it's plastic) to buff frets at string change. When I get ready to string, I lay one on the board for slack. Half around, thru, loopback and tuck. Move the pad, hold string taught with fingers, and crank up... That sting is never gonna slip, I think tunes up post stretch quicker. Closest thing to locking tuners for stability in my opinion...

Lot of folks don't like the loopback tuck because it can be a pain in the ass when you change strings....

I use an all metal dental pick to pull the string after loosening. Makes it quick and easy.

To each his own....

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I do the overlap on wound strings. With the overlap, the string damn sure ain't gonna pull. Little to gain with the loopback tuck....

I like the loopback tuck for plains.... Everybody should have a dental pick set on the guitar bench.

I use the 3M Synthetic 0000 Steel Wool (it's plastic) to buff frets at string change. When I get ready to string, I lay one on the board for slack. Half around, thru, loopback and tuck. Move the pad, hold string taught with fingers, and crank up... That sting is never gonna slip, I think tunes up post stretch quicker. Closest thing to locking tuners for stability in my opinion...

Lot of folks don't like the loopback tuck because it can be a pain in the ass when you change strings....

I use an all metal dental pick to pull the string after loosening. Makes it quick and easy.

To each his own....
I pull the string through the tuner, then grab the string at the 1st fret and pull it back just a little past the 2nd fret, kink it at the post, and wind it up.
Loopback was indeed a PITA when changing strings, and I honestly did not see any benefit... primarily because I've never had problems related to slippage at the tuners to begin with.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Re: Dental picks....

One of the dental picks in the set is skrate....no hook or angle....

Strat. String change. Stuck ball. Skrate dental pick. Down thru saddle. Less than the time to say 'son of a bitch'...

You're welcome.... That will be five bucks from each of you via PayPal Gift....

:cool2:

Last edited:

rxbandit

Reaction score
Re: Dental picks....

One of the dental picks in the set it skrate....no hook or angle....

Strat. String change. Stuck ball. Skrate dental pick. Down thru saddle. Less than the time to say 'son of a bitch'...

You're welcome.... That will be five bucks from each of you via PayPal Gift....

:cool2:
Goods & Services or no deal

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
I've been playing for 46 years...for whatever that's worth. My LPs don't stay in tune as well as my Tele or my ES135. I've always contributed that to the difference between maple and mahogany. It's worse down here in high humidity than it was in Denver. It's never been an issue for me though...it's a minor thing.

Latest Threads