Tuning Issues ( Anybody )

dro

Reaction score
It seems every time I turn around lately I hear someone saying that Les Paul's, though great sounding, just wont stay in tune.
Who here, who is a Les Paul player, has a problem with keeping your guitar in tune?
I have been playing guitar well over half of my life. Have played everything from the kegger back yard parties, to the variety wedding band, to the club scene, to some fairly major, large scale concert stages. If I want a guitar I can absolutely rely on, It's any one of my Les Paul's.
If any of you have trouble keeping your Lester in tune, It's likely the same reason you just can't seem to find THAT lick. "Your Doing It Wrong."
All the ones I have left have deluxe tuners. Have had Grover's in the past Lockers as well as Milk Bottles. If you take care of your guitar, you shouldn't have a problem. If you don't change the oil in your car, it won't be long before it will dump you. If you are mean to your guitar, ( don't change strings, don't keep it clean, don't keep it intonated, don't learn which tuners you have and how to wrap them.) I don't blame it for going out of tune.
There are allot of Fender players who finally buy their first Les Paul, and try to string it like they would a Fender." And Just Bitch About It" . There's your first mistake. I have talked to pro players with this bitch too. A few have listened to me and now love the tune of their Lester's. Most problems with guitars, are just like problems with cars, computers, and anything else. Operator error. Just don't blame the guitar

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Straight pull for the win.
I started using string guides on my Gibsons and that helped along with getting the nut done correctly.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
1. Proper nut slot size and lube,
2. Proper saddles (free of barbs)
3. Proper set up,
4. Intonate,
5. If your guitar is properly intonated, but cowboy chords are out of tune, start playing with the height of the stop tailpiece.

There is no reason why you can't get just about any (non-defective) Les Paul into near perfect tuning.

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
1. Proper nut slot size and lube,
2. Proper saddles (free of barbs)
3. Proper set up,
4. Intonate,
5. If your guitar is properly intonated, but cowboy chords are out of tune, have the nut checked for proper string height.

There is no reason why you can't get just about any (non-defective) Les Paul into near perfect tuning.
FIFY

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Every single guitar that I own (or, more accurately, gig) wears locking tuners. When you need to change strings FAST, these are very helpful.

You don't NEED them to keep your guitar in tune, but they sure beat the shit out of restringing without them.

After Tuner Change Back.jpg

Zungle

Reaction score
It seems every time I turn around lately I hear someone saying that Les Paul's, though great sounding, just wont stay in tune.
Who here, who is a Les Paul player, has a problem with keeping your guitar in tune?
I have been playing guitar well over half of my life. Have played everything from the kegger back yard parties, to the variety wedding band, to the club scene, to some fairly major, large scale concert stages. If I want a guitar I can absolutely rely on, It's any one of my Les Paul's.
If any of you have trouble keeping your Lester in tune, It's likely the same reason you just can't seem to find THAT lick. "Your Doing It Wrong."
All the ones I have left have deluxe tuners. Have had Grover's in the past Lockers as well as Milk Bottles. If you take care of your guitar, you shouldn't have a problem. If you don't change the oil in your car, it won't be long before it will dump you. If you are mean to your guitar, ( don't change strings, don't keep it clean, don't keep it intonated, don't learn which tuners you have and how to wrap them.) I don't blame it for going out of tune.
There are allot of Fender players who finally buy their first Les Paul, and try to string it like they would a Fender." And Just Bitch About It" . There's your first mistake. I have talked to pro players with this bitch too. A few have listened to me and now love the tune of their Lester's. Most problems with guitars, are just like problems with cars, computers, and anything else. Operator error. Just don't blame the guitar

Is someone triggered......:dunno:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Every single guitar that I own (or, more accurately, gig) wears locking tuners. When you need to change strings FAST, these are very helpful.

You don't NEED them to keep your guitar in tune, but they sure beat the shit out of restringing without them.

View attachment 434254
Other than my first POS nylon acoustic, I've never owned a guitar I could not get into nearly perfect tune, across the entire fretboard.

tjbitt

Reaction score
Sorry dro , guess I got to break it to you--- my Les Paul sucks at staying in tune.;) I've played for 55 yrs and owned plenty of guitars. I do my own string changes , setups etc and can say I've never had a guitar that stayed in tune perfectly all the time. I do think it's horse shit to think if you can't keep a guitar in tune you don't know what you are doing. I have some guitars that just inherently stay in tune better than others. My Taylor acoustic is one as is a cheap Squire Classic vibe tele that just refuses to not stay in tune. I had a Ric 330/12 that was a bugger but that's a whole nother story though.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry dro , guess I got to break it to you--- my Les Paul sucks at staying in tune.;) I've played for 55 yrs and owned plenty of guitars. I do my own string changes , setups etc and can say I've never had a guitar that stayed in tune perfectly all the time. I do think it's horse shit to think if you can't keep a guitar in tune you don't know what you are doing. I have some guitars that just inherently stay in tune better than others. My Taylor acoustic is one as is a cheap Squire Classic vibe tele that just refuses to not stay in tune. I had a Ric 330/12 that was a bugger but that's a whole nother story though.
Ironically, I have a MIM Tele, a Baja, that will not go out of tune. Ever. New strings, old strings. It doesn't matter. The damn thing just holds tune.

I'd unpack at shows and all my guitars would need serious tuning and some time to stabilize. The Tele? Plug it in, tweak it a bit and count it out... I always would use that one first!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
.10s, Loopback Tuck and chapstick, mang...

I also use a Peterson clip-on strobe and the Elec Guit sweetened... I don't have tuning problems on any of my Lesters as long as I use 10s...

My latest I have on my den hanging stand.... I play it daily. It is always pretty much in tune the next day, w/ a slight fudge factor for temp change...

ErictheRed

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of Les Pauls over the years, and not a single one has had tuning issues. They're actually very easy to set up, it's not like they have Floyd Rose or anything. Do a proper setup, add graphite to the nut, and you're fine.

Strats with vintage style vibrato have tuning issues, I don't know where this rumor about Les Pauls got started.

Latest Threads