Tuner Replacements

bluemoon

Reaction score
I need to replace the tuners on my 2007 Les Paul (it was made in 2008, but it is not the new "2008" Standard model with the different neck, etc.)

It has stock Kluson tuners on it.

I don't want to have to drill any holes or make any holes wider. What's my best option.

I noticed that Tonepros makes a Kluson tuner...is it better than the actual Kluson model?

Lastly, what do I order...one with push in or bolt bushings?

74_Custom

Reaction score
1) The TonePros are built to better specs. Everything is tighter on them. They are truly a modern tuner, with better tuning ratio, in a vintage looking housing.
2) You need the press-in bushing type.
3) Yes, the TonePros*Klusons are better than the Klusons.

bluemoon

Reaction score
On #3...

How do I tell. I got conflicting info from Tonepros (not that I trust them!)

1) The TonePros are built to better specs. Everything is tighter on them. They are truly a modern tuner, with better tuning ratio, in a vintage looking housing.

Pavlos

Reaction score
Go with the Tonepros, excellent tuners

Cuthbert

Reaction score

What he says.

bluemoon

Reaction score
Ok...so it is a deluxe Gibson tuner (who made those for Gibson?)

Also, I assume I need a slot in bushings, right? Here are some photos.

55B1ACE4-D3A5-470F-B4CC-05227DEAFE1E-3517-000003402DAF37B4_zpsb39bdaa3.jpg

6AC121B0-5304-4D82-A2D4-B9B2C7DDD36D-3517-0000033F2D051E9C_zps80b321ed.jpg

Dougie

Reaction score
The tonepros with the screw in bushing has taller posts than the one with the press in bushing. Find somebody selling them and look, or email and ask for the measurement between the two. You might have better tuning with the taller one, because it will have less downward angle on the string behind the nut.

Looking at your peghead photos, you could use a taller tuning post.

You can still use the push in bushings with the threaded tuner, just make sure you check the size of the holes in your peghead. If they are too small for the threaded tuner, then just get the ones with push in bushings.

My favorite tonepros sets, are using the threaded tuners, with push in bushings. They don't make these as a set, you will have to get the tuners and then the bushings, and if the peghead had larger holes, use the adapter bushings that push in. This way, it takes a little more work, but it's the best of both worlds.

For your guitar, if the back of the peghead has holes large enough to mount the threaded style tuner, use those and leave your bushings in place.

And yes, the tonepros/kluson is the finest keystone style tuner on the planet. It's made better, they are smoother, better ratio, you can't go wrong with them.

74_Custom

Reaction score
The tonepros with the screw in bushing has taller posts than the one with the press in bushing. Find somebody selling them and look, or email and ask for the measurement between the two. You might have better tuning with the taller one, because it will have less downward angle on the string behind the nut.
You might want to specify which model because there are several different models of the TonePros*Kluson with the bolt bushings.

My favorite tonepros sets, are using the threaded tuners, with push in bushings. They don't make these as a set, you will have to get the tuners and then the bushings, and if the peghead had larger holes, use the adapter bushings that push in. This way, it takes a little more work, but it's the best of both worlds.

For your guitar, if the back of the peghead has holes large enough to mount the threaded style tuner, use those and leave your bushings in place.

The OP's headstock requires the bushing tuners. He should get the bushing tuners, end of story.

truckermde

Reaction score
Gibson Deluxe tuners came in more than one size for push-in bushings. I have two different sized push-in bushings in Gibson Guitars, at the moment, as a matter of fact.

I would suggest that you remove a bushing and measure it with some calipers before you buy anything. It'll save the hassle...

If your bushings are 10mm, or 25/64ths, you'll be able to use screw-in bushing type tuners, if you like, without modification to the headstock.

Dougie

Reaction score
The OP's headstock requires the bushing tuners. He should get the bushing tuners, end of story.

The OP can modify the height of the tuner posts by combining the threaded tuners with the bushings he already has, IF the tuner will fit in the back of the peghead. The threaded tuner posts are 1/8" taller than the bushing tuner posts. Neat trick to help ease the angle behind the nut, it stays in tune better.

Looking at his photo, the string winds through the tuner hole very close to the bushing, meaning the angle of the string behind the nut is about as much of a downward angle as could be possible. That hurts tuning.

Let's see what fleabay says about the two models in discussion here:

TonePros Kluson TPKG3-N 3X3 Vintage Drop in Tuners Nickel New!!

This is a brand new set of Tone Pros Kluson TPKG3-N 3X3 Vintage tuners in nickel. These tuners are for vintage spec 3X3 configurations and will fit in vintage Kluson headstocks (11/32", press in bushing) with no modifications.

These require an 8.5mm headstock hole, not a 9mm required on most modern replacement tuners/guitars. That 0.5mm difference allows retrofitting into vintage guitars (drilled for SAE 11/32") without reaming the headstock. They also have traditional ***post length of 31/32" (25mm) from the base***, which preserve the traditional low-profile look.

TonePros Kluson TPKB3-N 3X3 Vintage Tuners Nickel New!!

This is a brand new set of Tone Pros Kluson TPKB3-N 3X3 Vintage tuners in nickel. These are for 25/64" holes with screw-on bushings, would work great for putting Klusons back on headstocks drilled for 10mm sealed tuners or replacing the Gibson Deluxes. Includes all six tuners and all the hardware required for use.

IMPORTANT SPECS: Requires 25/64" / 10 mm headstock holes, ***tuning shaft length is 1 1/8" from base***. Screw in bushings: if your tuners have a nut and washer around the tuning shaft these will likely fit, measure to be sure.

A difference of 5/32" in post height from those two sets. The taller ones work better on a Les Paul because there is less angle behind the nut.

Latest Threads