Tuner pedal recommendations

Case24

Reaction score
I have a Polytune Mini 3 and like it. I’ve also used a Boss TU3. The TC left a bit more room on the board.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Peterson strobe tuner if you have some spare $$ to drop
More than a Snark or the cheaper clip-on, but still not unreasonable given their functionality.
I have all three... the StroboClip HD clip-on, StroboStomp HD pedal, and the StroboPlus HD bench tuner (LCD, not mechanical).
I also have the Android app, which IIRC was $10, so arguably one of the most affordable tuners available considering it's a strobe-type tuner and not just a needle like the free apps.

The clip-on is about $60
The large bench unit is about $140, as is the pedal type.
The pedal can be configured to mute or not mute. I leave mine on full-time, the display always registers and the button only mutes the output. It can supposedly be configured for true-bypass, which blanks the display when in bypass, but I haven't tried to activate that, and honestly, I don't mind having the buffered output.

NotScott

Reaction score
Boss TU-3. It's accurate, you can see it under bright stage lights or outdoors, step on/off mute function is very handy for tuning and changing guitars, it can do drop tuning, 7 string guitars and 6 string bass, it can serve as a y-splitter and can power other devices.

As for clip-ons, I have yet to find one that is worth a damn in a loud/live environment. I have a Korg PC-1 that I took to an open mic once. ONCE! It was useless inside that noisy club. At the open mic I host, guys walk in with their clip-ons and after trying to tune with them, I point them to my TU-3 and they are up and running in no time.

As for all tuners being the same, I use the following tuners in various situations:

TU-3
Peterson AutoStrobe
Amplifire AF-3 tuner function
GuitarTuna and PolyTune phone apps
PC-1
Kemper tuner function

None of them read exactly the same unless I go in and calibrate them all to account for their differences The TU-3, Peterson and Kemper are all within 1 cent of each other. The apps are off about 2-3 cents. The Amplifier is 10 cents sharp! Just because a machine tells you something, don't blindly believe it.

Flyfish-mt

Reaction score
I have a ST-300 and ST-122 SR Turbo Tuner and they are great. However, the whole Peterson "sweetened" tuning thing has me curious.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I’ve heard that strobe tuners can be more accurate but my PT2 mini does the job for me.

If you’re gigging, the speed at which the PolyTune allows you to quickly check all strings is fantastic.

Latest Threads