Tuner pedal recommendations

Robert Parker

Reaction score
I need a new tuner pedal. I've been using a Kliq for about 2 years and am getting really tired of how slow it is. But the one thing I really like about it is being able to drop the displayed note by half-step increments. We play a half-step down, but I use open E and G in addition to standard. It's nice not to have to remember all the different tuning values down a half-step in between songs, changing guitars etc.

I'm looking at a TC Polytune, a Korg Pitchblack, and a T Rex Tunemaster. However, I can't seem to find any that clearly have that transposing option. I'd prefer a more compact design than Boss. Any suggestions or other considerations?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I have a TC Polytune 2 and really like it. Favourite feature is being able to strum all strings and get a readout of which are out.

shupe13

Reaction score
I'd use whatever your band mates use since there is variance in brands.

tzd

Reaction score
I have a TC Polytune 2 and really like it. Favourite feature is being able to strum all strings and get a readout of which are out.
I’ve been using the PolyTune 2 and I find that when I strum all the strings together, my low E will show slightly sharp, but then I play the low E string on its own and it shows dead on in tune. Do you encounter that?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I’ve been using the PolyTune 2 and I find that when I strum all the strings together, my low E will show slightly sharp, but then I play the low E string on its own and it shows dead on in tune. Do you encounter that?
On mine, the low E sometimes doesn't show up using the strum feature.

shupe13

Reaction score
I have never seen/heard where this is an issue, and that includes my work with student musicians.
I have 4 different tuners. All register differently. My Korg and clip on PW are the closest. There is also a great demo of this by the Pedal Show guys (I think) using all the popular tuners and they experience the same thing.

Might be an Andertons video.

Mike J.

Reaction score
I stopped using pedals and switched to clip tuners. I don’t like the idea of sacrificing space on my board for a tuner.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I have 4 different tuners. All register differently. My Korg and clip on PW are the closest. There is also a great demo of this by the Pedal Show guys (I think) using all the popular tuners and they experience the same thing.

Interesting. I doubt I've ever used the same tuner as another player. Never had the same tuner as a fellow SweatHog. Yet, somehow we play in tune. Maybe there's a variance, but thankfully I nor anybody I play with has the ear to tell the difference.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score

I not quite sure what you mean by register differently.
Could it be that the listening accuracy of those units are all different

My $9 Snark is only accurate to .5 CENT
My $60 PolyTune is accurate to .02 CENT

The Snark, really only gets you in the ballpark. You have to tweak it by ear.
The PolyTune works excellently. You get another vote for PolyTune from me.

Rich

Non sequitur
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200/ST-300. Best tuner pedal I've ever used.
Hell yes! I liked the one on my board so much, I bought a second one to use at home and a third one for my brother. As Thunder said, best tuner I've ever used. And it is FAST.

From the web site: The internal time base of each Turbo Tuner is calibrated at the factory to +/- 1ppm (that's .0017 cents) and is guaranteed to maintain an accuracy of +/- .02 cents for the life of the product.

If you decide to go with a Turbo Tuner, be mindful that the mini version does not have space for a battery and must be used with an adapter. The regular sized one (like a standard MXR-style box) does take a battery.

Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Last edited:

Neffco

Reaction score
Boss tuner for me. Always been the standard amongst people I’ve played with. Tough as the last chick standing after the gig.