Tuner Gear Ratio help

Limeshack

Reaction score
I recently picked up an ES-335 with Nickel Grover milk bottle tuners. The 18:1 Gear ratio is irritating and I far prefer the speed and ratio of the Klusons on my 1996 Les Paul Florentine. Does anyone know of a lower ratio replacement that will drop in to the existing holes. If I remember correctly Kluson ferrules are smaller in diameter than Grovers right? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Gotoh vintage tuners have a smaller hole. I know because someone had put Sperzals on a Burny SG I have and enlarged the holes. I returned it to having Gotohs and had to buy additional bushings then. They have either a 15:1 or 16:1 ratio, I can't remember. They are nice, well made tuners.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
I believe standard Kluson's are 14:1, but they can be had in 18:1 too. I usually prefer 18:1, but I have some Gotoh 510's on my Taylor Acoustic that are terrific, and they're 21:1. I'd put those on everything if the footprint matched and I could get the correct buttons for each guitar. They are so smooth and precise. Yummy.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
so you want to go from 18:1 to 12 or 14:1? If so, I think this is the first time I've seen someone wanting technically an inferior product for tuning stability.

you already have the bigger hole, just just pick whatever tuner you want and get bushings to fill the void. There are so many options out there now, it really comes down to personal/brand/look preferences.

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score
Ratio of the tuner has nothing to do with tuning stability, tuner quality and construction attribute to stability. All things being equal the only difference is tuning precision, 18/1 being more precise but that doesnt mean more stability or you cant use 12/1 and still get it perfectly in tune.

PierM

Reaction score
I recently picked up an ES-335 with Nickel Grover milk bottle tuners. The 18:1 Gear ratio is irritating and I far prefer the speed and ratio of the Klusons on my 1996 Les Paul Florentine. Does anyone know of a lower ratio replacement that will drop in to the existing holes. If I remember correctly Kluson ferrules are smaller in diameter than Grovers right? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
Just take your florentine, align the shaft hole with your eyes, then count how many turns you need to achieve a complete shaft revolution, so that you'll get the hole aligned again.
That number is your ratio.

For example 18:1 means you need 18 turns on the peg to achieve 1 full shaft revolution.

BTW, Kluson vintage style tuners (SD90SLN) are 15:1, which it's not really that big difference from a 18.

Fixed ratio is always a compromise, but on paper you'd want a much higher ratio (more turns) for the low strings, and lower(less turns) for the high strings.

moreles

Reaction score
You should be able to find Grovers with the old, lower ratio. I would not go with Klusons, which are in my judgment an inferior product. My preference is Gotoh, which are tangibly smoother and better-feeling to use. And they don't have wiggle and play like Klusons do (badly) and as is sometimes the case with Grovers. I don't know if Gotoh makes the lower-ratio tuners anymore, however, because almost no one wants them because the "faster" tuning is relevant only for initial tuneup, because after that it's almost always fine tuning, not fast/major tuning changes (unless you use lots of alternate tunings).

Logan Tyler

Reaction score
You should be able to find Grovers with the old, lower ratio. I would not go with Klusons, which are in my judgment an inferior product. My preference is Gotoh, which are tangibly smoother and better-feeling to use. And they don't have wiggle and play like Klusons do (badly) and as is sometimes the case with Grovers. I don't know if Gotoh makes the lower-ratio tuners anymore, however, because almost no one wants them because the "faster" tuning is relevant only for initial tuneup, because after that it's almost always fine tuning, not fast/major tuning changes (unless you use lots of alternate tunings).
As always, YMMV. I have 3 guitars with Klusons, and the tuning on all of them is rock solid. No play at all on them.

trapland

Reaction score
Klusons are good. They hold and none of this wind-wind-wind stuff. A quick flick of the wrist and your In tune. Grover’s are adequate but a LP is supposed to have klusons.

Latest Threads