Tune o matic....not level.....is this ok?

CB91710

Reaction score
That's fine.
The target for a setup to work from is 4/64, but not every guitar can go that low for all players.
Like I said... if you're anywhere below 5, you're fine and within spec.
3/64 without buzz is very good for the bass strings.

Reaction score
I guess it's just gonna have to be the way it is..... I'm heavy handed, I use 11 Gauge balanced tension d'addarios and tune a full step down to accomadate my voice...... The balanced tension and slightly higher plain strings helps me not to push to hard and fret a note sharp..... Wound strings are never an issue.....so this way I don't have to soften my touch on higher strings, I can just play how I want....... I played a few Lps and sgs at store that had "pro setups" and now I can't even play a regular set of strings, I hit the plain strings and it's like there's nothing there...... And I was bending the strings all over the place lol...... Oh well guess I've pigeon holed myself now lol

Reaction score
That's fine.
The target for a setup to work from is 4/64, but not every guitar can go that low for all players.
Like I said... if you're anywhere below 5, you're fine and within spec.
3/64 without buzz is very good for the bass strings.
Can u see the Pic? It may be more like 4 64ths and 5 on plain..... Tapes have a sliding metal tip that allows for a 16th of play whether u are pushing or pulling so..... Not so. Accurate for guitar work lol

CB91710

Reaction score
Can u see the Pic? It may be more like 4 64ths and 5 on plain..... Tapes have a sliding metal tip that allows for a 16th of play whether u are pushing or pulling so..... Not so. Accurate for guitar work lol
Ya, everything looks fine.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Did you fret rock with a staight edge? A debit card is a great fret rocker if you suspect a stray high fret.

Without feeler gauges,..... a dime is about 3.4/64" or .053" and a nickel is about 4.9/64" or .077". Both just about perfect for Gibsons recommended heights. A nickel is also the perfect width for adjusting stopbar height.

I don't think they did that on accident, but never found anything in writing to prove it.

Reaction score
Did you fret rock with a staight edge? A debit card is a great fret rocker if you suspect a stray high fret.

Without feeler gauges,..... a dime is about 3.4/64" or .053" and a nickel is about 4.9/64" or .077". Both just about perfect for Gibsons recommended heights. A nickel is also the perfect width for adjusting stopbar height.

I don't think they did that on accident, but never found anything in writing to prove it.
I don't think there's a high fret..... If there is it'll be sanded down in. A week lol...... I'm getting some nice notches in my frets now..... All those Angus aggressive vibratos and bends

Reaction score
I don't think there's a high fret..... If there is it'll be sanded down in. A week lol...... I'm getting some nice notches in my frets now..... All those Angus aggressive vibratos and bends
Eventually it'll be too bad and I'll have to get then crowned again but for now I'll keep on abusing her...... Bought in 2014.... So 6 years has removed a bunch of finish on neck and body and tail piece and other Nickel and chrome is petinaed and bubbling up...... I wouldn't dare buy one aged because I age them fast enough as is lol

pillbug

Reaction score
It’s fine and completely normal. Most of mine are somewhat uneven too.

Prospector

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been doing the same thing for the same reason for decades.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I always set my treble side 1/64" lower so I guess none of my bridges are level either.

shawn7

Reaction score
typically the plain side is even or lower, but sometimes the only way to stop an E or B string from fretting out during a bend is to set the bridge with the plain side slightly higher. I think you did right. No foul if it works, and you're happy with the action and feel. I believe it's usually a slightly higher fret in some cases, or a particularly stiff string. Looking at the fretboard radius in your picture the fretboard appears to be lower and correct on the plain side, so it's probably a fret (around the 15th) that is protruding slightly. I've used just a small flat block of wood and my hands to rock the fret down a little with some success. I'm sure people will say stuff like, no don't ever do that, but they don't know. i've never had a single issue as a result.

Latest Threads