Tune o matic....not level.....is this ok?

Reaction score
So I have my tune-o-matic set up so that the plain string side is higher to make action just very slightly higher on plain strings so I can do 2 n a half step bends without choking out.....but the bridge is one thread higher (bass side shows three threads, treble side shows 4 threads)...... Is this OK? I just read a stew Mac article saying it should be level but I tried it and notes start to choke on big bends....... Basically to get strings about the same height off neck, I have to raise treble side a bit..... Is this normal?

Reaction score
Is it weird that I have action a bit higher on high strings? It just feels better and I don't over bend everything

CB91710

Reaction score
It's fine.
That's why the bridge was designed the way it was.
Fender's have individual adjustment for each saddle.

It is unusual to have lower action on the bass side, but you aren't generally bending the bass strings, so low action will only cause buzzing and not fretting out. Bends will cause fretting out if the action is too low because you are pulling the string across the radius. This problem is more pronounced on tighter radii necks like vintage Fenders at 7.25"... not typically a problem on Gibson.

Reaction score
It's fine.

It is unusual to have lower action on the bass side, but you aren't generally bending the bass strings, so low action will only cause buzzing and not fretting out. Bends will cause fretting out if the action is too low because you are pulling the string across the radius. This problem is more pronounced on tighter radii necks like vintage Fenders at 7.25"... not typically a problem on Gibson.
Well basically I have the low strings where I want them, I'd say medium action, but the high strings do choke when I bend hard at that height so I raised em up a tiny bit..... I uploaded a picture where u can sort of see

Reaction score
It's fine.

Let me put it this way, the tops of the strings are all the same height...... The bottoms are closer on bass side then treble side because the strings are way smaller

CB91710

Reaction score
Well basically I have the low strings where I want them, I'd say medium action, but the high strings do choke when I bend hard at that height so I raised em up a tiny bit..... I uploaded a picture where u can sort of see
How "low" is "low"?
If you're anywhere below 5/64, you're within spec... if you're below 3/64, that is very low action.
If your treble strings are above 5/64, you may have some uneven frets.

Reaction score
I guess I'm just wondering if it is super strange to have my high strings a tiny bit higher

Reaction score
How "low" is "low"?
If you're anywhere below 5/64, you're within spec... if you're below 3/64, that is very low action.
If your treble strings are above 5/64, you may have some uneven frets.
where am I measuring from?

Reaction score
I just used a tape but it only has 32s..... But based on that...at the 12th fret it's about 5 64th on treble side and 3 64ths bass side..... One a little above a 16th one a little below

Reaction score
First and last picture are the ones that depict most accurately the action...... In last Pic I use my thumb to point at 12th Fret since it doesn't have dots on treble side

Latest Threads