Tubes for 5e3 Tweed Duluxe

JDouglas

Reaction score
I am new to modding amps and I have a Ceriatone 5E3 Tweed Deluxe. I was told by a friend that the Electro-Harmonix tubes I have are not that great. I am considering changing all the tubes to vintage RCA 6v6's. I came across vintage RCA GT 12AX7, 12AY7, and a 5Y3GT.

Some are uses but supposedly tested good. I was wondering if I made OK choices and was looking for advice since I am a noob. Should I try them out one at a time in case one is bad.

Here are pics of my tubes...

Attachments

• !B)slpd!EGk~$(KGrHqN,!iMEw5ddm6kwBMOmiphHVg~~_3[1].jpg
    !B)slpd!EGk~$(KGrHqN,!iMEw5ddm6kwBMOmiphHVg~~_3[1].jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 28
  • !B)FcCCQCGk~$(KGrHqZ,!jgEv1+0EL4BBML8F)J,5g~~_3[1].jpg
    !B)FcCCQCGk~$(KGrHqZ,!jgEv1+0EL4BBML8F)J,5g~~_3[1].jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 27
  • !ByBfrG!CWk~$(KGrHqJ,!iwEw5IoR6ZSBMP9c8BDtg~~_12[1].jpg
    !ByBfrG!CWk~$(KGrHqJ,!iwEw5IoR6ZSBMP9c8BDtg~~_12[1].jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 24
  • !ByPNcF!CWk~$(KGrHqQOKnEEw9FtdZVWBMQ2c1qgPw~~_12[1].jpg
    !ByPNcF!CWk~$(KGrHqQOKnEEw9FtdZVWBMQ2c1qgPw~~_12[1].jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 22

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
The 5Y3 either works, or it doesn't...it's a diode like a light bulb.
The 12AY7 and 12AX7 should be good, and if they work, you are well on your way.

I would just start with those preamp tubes so you know what changed...where.

The RCA blackplates are great but don't just throw them at the amp right away.
You will need to know that (even though the 5E3 is a cathode biased amp) whether they are balanced enough.
You won't really know unless you get a meter on the cathodes and plates while it is live, so if you aren't comfortable with the chance of nearly 400 VDC shooting through you, then save them and take it to a tech.

Save the 5Y3, if you have one and it is working, then don't buy the hype about vintage rectifier tubes (unless we're talking about GZ34's but that's a whole other thread).
Should be fine there.

Sum...just change the preamp tubes for now and play it!

rybass

Reaction score
I dig EHX 6v6s. They breakup a bit earlier and have a more british fizz, to me. My favorite though are rubys. They have the smoothest breakup I've heard. Very well rounded and are pretty cheap. They surprised me in my musicmaster.

I disliked JJ's. They sounded weak and a bit loose if that makes sense.

I've only tried two sets of vintage; GE and some no name my amp guy sold to me. For the money I really didn't feel or hear that much of a difference from the rubys.

>Photi G<

Reaction score
The new JJ 6V6s have gotten great reviews. they're rugged, sound deeper and fuller than you average 6V6, and they're pretty affordable. If you do end up getting NOS 6v6s, the likelihood that they will be matched is not good.

Keep the preamp tubes, and don't waste your money on a NOS rectifier.

JDouglas

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I got the 12AX7 today and tried it out. To my ears it sounded better especially when turned all the way up and strummed hard.

JDouglas

Reaction score
I"ll let you know how the others sound as soon as they arrive

neils

Reaction score
In my Emerysound Superbaby I find the JJ 6V6S sounds better than the Tungsol 6V6GT and that is with any recitifier. I have an NOS RCA 5Y3 and an NOS Mullard GZ34. With either the JJ sounds better to me. Thicker, nice breakup.

Neil

Cygnus X1

Reaction score
The first, biggest difference should be V1, a good 12AY7.

JDouglas

Reaction score
Well I put in all my new tubes so my 5E3 has all RCA vintage tubes in it. I think it is a little louder with a smooother deep end and smoother break up. I think one of the tubes i replaced was choking it a bit. I prefer my strat with this amp but these new tubes helped my SG sound better which surprised me. I wish I could do before and after recordings so you could hear the difference.

Latest Threads