Tube Cages

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Is anyone else as irritated as me about tube cages being forced on us? They’re ugly, unnecessarily and inconvenient!

kelsodeez

Reaction score
I welcome them. Why not protect the most fragile, exposed part of your amplifier? Because that's how they did it in the 50s? There's a lot of stuff they did in the past that wasn't very thought out

The Ballzz

Reaction score
I welcome them. Why not protect the most fragile, exposed part of your amplifier? Because that's how they did it in the 50s? There's a lot of stuff they did in the past that wasn't very thought out

Wide spread use of asbestos throughout the world is one example that comes to mind?
Just Thinkin'
Gene

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I think the idea is to protect fingers from getting burned. Also, wasn’t there a European Union requirement? I could be wrong. I just want to see the glass. There sure are a lot of aftermarket Fender top back panels being sold on EBay and Reverb.

John_P

Reaction score
Tube technology is a hazard and an exception in modern electrical safety regulation.

Tubes consumes lots of power that is wasted in heat. Heat can cause fire.

People like to stuff things in open back cabinets made of flammable wood. One component that typically resides inside the cab, all over the place, is a power cable having plastic insulation that could melt if in direct contact with a red plating tube. The cage is there to prevent fire.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
Tube technology is a hazard and an exception in modern electrical safety regulation.

Tubes consumes lots of power that is wasted in heat. Heat can cause fire.

People like to stuff things in open back cabinets made of flammable wood. One component that typically resides inside the cab, all over the place, is a power cable having plastic insulation that could melt if in direct contact with a red plating tube. The cage is there to prevent fire.
Great point. Thanks for that. I wonder how many fires and melted power cords occur in a year? Must be guitar a few.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
I don't like the cages. Most of the amps I have are older, no cages...... none of them ever caused a fire.

John_P

Reaction score
Great point. Thanks for that. I wonder how many fires and melted power cords occur in a year? Must be guitar a few.
I think those accidents are rare, which is not to say it could never happen. Safety regulations are there to protect consumers (and thereby protecting manufacturers from liability).

Some designs run very hot indeed. If ventilation is compromised the risk increases.

Don't stuff amp covers, cables and things in an open back tube combo.

Last edited:

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I must learn to search online for answers to my questions. I just did and I found the definitive guide to tube cages on the Gear Page:

ARandall

Reaction score
^ I dunno, did something happen on the last 2 pages.......all I found was another somewhat similar thread title. Oh unless by 'definitive' you were just meaning external validation

Dogbreath

Reaction score
^ I dunno, did something happen on the last 2 pages.......all I found was another somewhat similar thread title. Oh unless by 'definitive' you were just meaning external validation
External validation? Maybe. Or possibly it’s just that the the thread beat the subject to death. Exhaustive would have been a better word. My own issue is that I don’t like industry force feeding me solutions to problems that I believe don’t exist. I also don’t like ugly, large warning labels plastered on nearly everything I buy.

Latest Threads