Tube amp snobbery, modellers and DIY speaker ideas...

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
So I have always loved tube amps. At one point I owned a blackface super reverb from a trade. I don't gig and this amp was totally overkill but it sounded beautiful. I have some parts from an organ that someone threw out (old conn). I think I could do a 5E3 amp but then I started hearing about these amps that are currently trendy (Benson). I was looking at the Benson Monarch because it looked like it has few parts and would be a relatively simple build if I could ever get a schematic. Then I read on a forum that the amp was basically a Matchless Spitfire with 6v6s and a resistor change. They charge 2500 or so for that amp. It got me thinking can it really sound that good to justify the cost? Then I realised it is again the same problem I had with the Super Reverb. In order to crank it at home, you will need a dedicated sound proof room or live out in the country somewhere. I know the digital versions are not the same but I have been using Helix Fender amps into the Ownhammer Super Reverb cab IR and it sound pretty cool at low volumes.

I still plan to build an amp with my vintage parts but now I am thinking my efforts might be better spend on making a stereo full range speaker cabinet powered by a simple class D amp to use with a Helix HX stomp. I have 4" full range drivers that I have been using with HX stomp on my computer desktop. They are surpirsingly good with the DIY cabs I made but lack a little bit of bass. I had considered a design with similar speakers and a single 6.5" woofer into a cab a minimally larger than a Yamaha THRII but with much more volume. It would still give the stereo effect and give the missing bass while allowing portability. Has anyone built something similar? I know there are relatively inexpensive FRFR options in the US but in Aus, the prices are all higher and I don't think there are any products maxizing tone and volume in a super small cabinet.

NeubyWanKaneuby

Reaction score
@mdubya uses some Presonus monitors with an AX8 iirc, and they sound pretty good.
Might be worth looking into if monitors like that aren't ridiculously priced where you're at.

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
I havent built anything.. but just on Neuby's post. I have the budget version of what he mentioned with my 11R going through some powered studio monitors. I use the BX5 carbons. Has plenty of bass for my needs. And can be supplemented with a woofer.

Not sure if I answered any of the questions.. but eh.. at least i got my 2c in

Edit. The other thing i have done is simply connected the 11R to the fx loop of said amp. Then i run the sims etc through the power amp stage.. but can use the master vol on the 11R to keep things reasonable.

hbucker

Reaction score
I have no doubt you will be able to build a speaker that a modeler would be able to sound good through. I've run my AX8 through a variety of speakers: traditional cab, PA, floor monitor, recording monitors and FRFR - Have been able to make it sound good through each.

I've got a Headrush FRFR - clearly not the highest end speaker like this you can get, but it sounds great and changed my life in the following way: Before the Headrush, I was able to sound good through a variety of speakers, but adjustments had to be made to accommodate each system. What sounded good on one didn't sound right on another.

Once I set up my presets for my FRFR they transitioned very well to different speaker formats. Few if any adjustments need to be made now They just sound right.

I have no doubt that you can make a full range speaker if you have the components in hand. I do question how much of a flat response speaker you can construct though. Which would lead you to the problem I described above - needing to make adjustments, sometimes big adjustments, from one speaker setup to another.

This is the only drawback I see. Otherwise, it seems like a fun project and a great way to use old speakers you'll probably never find another use for.

Just my two cents.

Good luck!

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think it will be proper flat response at all. The speakers I am using currently are Dayton RS100 4" full range drivers. They sound really good for guitar at relatively low volumes. I could just add a subwoofer to my current setup. But it is already not portable. (Small separate amp, 2x speakers and a bunch of cables). I just like the idea of a small box with the amp, speakers and maybe even a lithium battery. I have seen similar boom box projects.

You can get class D amp modules for about 40USD that have 3 channels and bluetooth 5. Parts express sells some speakers that have really low requirements in terms of cabinet size. There are galaxy audio 5" full range drivers that might have better treble. It would be cool to have something small enough to through in a back pack with my Helix. I should probably just get a proper FRFR though and stop wasting time on DIY projects!

hbucker

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think it will be proper flat response at all. The speakers I am using currently are Dayton RS100 4" full range drivers. They sound really good for guitar at relatively low volumes. I could just add a subwoofer to my current setup. But it is already not portable. (Small separate amp, 2x speakers and a bunch of cables). I just like the idea of a small box with the amp, speakers and maybe even a lithium battery. I have seen similar boom box projects.

You can get class D amp modules for about 40USD that have 3 channels and bluetooth 5. Parts express sells some speakers that have really low requirements in terms of cabinet size. There are galaxy audio 5" full range drivers that might have better treble. It would be cool to have something small enough to through in a back pack with my Helix. I should probably just get a proper FRFR though and stop wasting time on DIY projects!
DIY projects are fun! I would never talk you out of them. I'd just temper your expectations...

My Headrush was $200 USD a year ago. (Not sure what they are now) It's quite small and sounds fantastic. But arguably, would not fit in a reasonably sized backpack with your Helix.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Just had a look at the headrush. They are $500 Aus new. It is 1x 8" speaker so no stereo imaging. I kind of like the ability to have a 10-15msec delay. It might not matter at higher volumes but fills in the cleans at lower volumes and makes things a little less harsh through headphones. It might make more sense to get a headrush for playing louder with other musicians and just keep my current setup as is.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there are plans available for smaller cabs, but I have a Greenboy/Fearfull 15" cab for my main stage amp. Paid for it from someone that builds them rather than DIY, but doesn't look like "mission impossible". Sounds sublime. I also have a pair of Adam A5X for the home studio, but recognise that's a choice for those with a big budget they can use.

The Fearful cab is pretty amazing, worth looking into whether they have build plans available for anything smaller than the 1 x 12. Very FRFR and very neutral sounding.

Can you get Matrix in Aus? Have heard they are good, and use one of their power amps without disappointment.

Liam

Latest Threads