Tube Amp Myths

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Love my TH30 and it doesn't need to be dimed to sound good at any watt level, because it sounds good all the time. Just something about tube gain that get's me going and even when you dime this baby, it stays together nicely and sounds great, not flabby or mushy at all.... Simply glorious.

I feel the same towards my Orange Dark Terror. Why is it that so many think dime'd amps are the way to go? There is place and time for that, but we’ll designed circuits in current designed amps (especially with good master volumes and a lower power option) can get some pretty crunchy and interesting tones.

I've found lots lots of tones in between loud and not really loud volumes with my Orange.

Classicplayer

scozz

Reaction score
Fender 1972 Super Six amp weight = 98 lbs. My 1972 Twin was only 69 lbs., by comparison.

Classicplayer
Yup I had a 71 Super Six Reverb I bought new in 71 and gigged with it for almost 3 years! I just couldn’t take carting that behemoth around any longer.

I think what really did it was the second floor bar out by the local airport that we gigged regularly. We had to enter it from the back,...up a flight of wooden outdoor steps.

It was murder lugging that amp up those steps every two weeks or so, especially in the winter. I was 17 at the time and living at home in Connecticut.

The amp sounded great but soooo much headroom, I had to use pedals to get any kind of breakup. Oh but the cleans were incredible.

The amp was 100 watts with 6 -10” speakers, 2 strap handles on one side of the amp and 4 removable casters on the other side, thank goodness for those casters. At least it could be rolled most of the time.

Here’s another pic of one showing the caster side of the amp, you can see the 4 holes for the casters.

Here’s a torn pic of me and the amp with my 72 Clownburst Deluxe, I’m not sure what year it was but it had to be either 1971, 72, or 73,....

Here’s a pic from a gig back then, that’s me, and you can see my Super Six Reverb behind me,....

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Friggin insane.
My Deuce rig was heavy, but it was the Deuce stacked on top of a 4x12 that I built, so it was two 60-lb boxes instead of one.
My current "stack" is an Oak Carvin X100 and a matching 4x10, but usually the Blues Jr ends up plugged into the cabinet. I don't think I've powered the Carvin up in close to 20 years. After I got the Blues Jr, it was relegated to "I'll bring it to the jam in case anyone needs an amp" status.

moreles

Reaction score
The most expensive is the best.
Amps with wiseass or clever names sound better.
You need as many switches as possible.
"Reissue" tubes are like the originals.
A better amp will make you play better.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I like my Orange PPC212V cabinet, 2 Neo Creambacks and lightweight plywood construction with the 15mm (0.6") birch plywood, a very light cabinet with a lot of power. It still weighs in at just under 44lbs, but that is much better than 55-60lbs.

Last edited:

EndGame00

Reaction score
Myth: Marshall Plexi goes 11 to sound good...

My newest sweet spots are:

Bass: 4
Mids: 10
Treb: 8
Pres: 6.5
Vol: 8.5

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I took in an EVH 5150 III 2X12 combo last year on a trade, one of the newest models. I ended up selling it after a short while. In the original box with original packing material, it came in at 110 lbs on the UPS store scale. I still don't quite know how I got it from my house into the store without seriously hurting myself.

Turbs

Reaction score
I bought a Blues Junior 3 probably 3 years ago, and after a while it just didn't sound quite right. I stopped playing it and instead used an old Marshall solid state amp i have.

I took it into my local guitar shop, and they were about to buy it from me but after extensive testing in store they decided it wasn't right and needed a service. The aged rocker type that worked there gave me a lecture about how tube amps don't like being played at bedroom volumes and they need to be cranked up or they start to play up. So . . is there any truth to that? I took it out once for the one and only time i ever took it to a bar with my guitar teacher and i think it toppled over in my boot . . i would think that's probably the root of the issues. When i turn it on now it has got worse and one of the tubes glows pink and that's about it . . so i know it needs a few new tubes at least.

Was he talking rubbish then?