Tube Amp Myths

goldtop0

Reaction score
Debunking the myth about matched tubes in an amp........the old amps didn't have matched tubes.
I'm pretty sure it was Aspen Pittman with Groove Tubes that started this whole thing about matched sets etc back in the late '70s early '80s............he did well didn't he:jam:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
My champ 12 does not even have a stand-by switch.....
The Studio One does not have one. I miss it. How hard could it be to add one?

Nor does it require one. Volume turned down will suffice.
It is a convenience I've almost always had; the Ampeg V4 had one and so does my Boogie. Makes it easy to get everything silently plugged in and flip the switch.

I'll agree it is not needed for proper tube warm up.

Last edited:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
The Studio One does not have one. I miss it. How hard could it be to add one?
Not hard.
SPST switch rated for the proper voltage on the line between the rectifier and first filter stage.
You want the heaters active, but to block the plate voltage. You want it ahead of the filters both to kill power to all of the plates, and to avoid lifting the load from the filters, which will cause plate voltage to spike when the switch is closed and the caps dump.

redking

Reaction score
Hand wired amps are undoubtedly easier to service and restore than PCB amps - I prefer them for that reason. Although, I agree, there are some great PCB amps out there these days.
Hand wired inherently sounds better than printed circuit boards.

sonar

Reaction score
Hand wired amps are undoubtedly easier to service and restore than PCB amps - I prefer them for that reason. Although, I agree, there are some great PCB amps out there these days.
Oh, I've got issues with PCB amps, but most of the time the deficiencies are caused by the sum of their parts.

A well built, PCB amp with quality components, that is easily serviced, and manufactured at a reasonable price is very doable, but modern companies almost always go cheap. Unfortunately, PCB technology is dictated by bottom line economics being the main priority. Quality is almost incidental.

sonar

Reaction score
Thanks to the internet people are probably gigging with Boss Katana amps because they think a tube amp is simply too fragile to leave the house and might not last a gig.
Thanks to the internet I've expanded my knowledge of the electric guitar tenfold. I've made some mistakes with erroneous information, and separating the wheat from the chaff isn't always obvious, but the good information has far outweighed the bad.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
In our current age of youtube heros and guitar forum experts, I truly believe that one of the biggest myths today is the ability for all of us players to judge a tube amp's tone based on just online demos and reviews.
Agreed! Nothing like an in person volume cranked up experience. Online recordings are approximate at best.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Love my TH30 and it doesn't need to be dimed to sound good at any watt level, because it sounds good all the time. Just something about tube gain that get's me going and even when you dime this baby, it stays together nicely and sounds great, not flabby or mushy at all.... Simply glorious.

smk506

Reaction score
While not a myth per se, I’ve always wondered why people mix certain speaker types in the same cab.

Some combos make sense, but every time I’ve heard a ‘british voiced’ speaker mixed with an ‘American voiced’ in the same cab I’ve been left a bit cold.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
While not a myth per se, I’ve always wondered why people mix certain speaker types in the same cab.

Some combos make sense, but every time I’ve heard a ‘british voiced’ speaker mixed with an ‘American voiced’ in the same cab I’ve been left a bit cold.
Never tried a British/American speaker mix. I do have two different speakers in my 2x12. One is a Celestion G12K-100, which excels at lows and serves in my mind as a ‘woofer’. The second speaker is a Celestion G12F-60, which has sweet highs and it’s the ‘tweeter ‘. They really compliment each other nicely.