Tube Amp Myths

For fun, or in all seriousness, let's see what's out there.

Here's mine: You don't need to wear a hazmat suit to pull tubes. Nor any kind of gloves to protect the tubes from 'skin-oil'. Washing hands is enough, and is even likely unnecessary, unless you just finished a 'meat-lover's slice' or were working o a greasy engine.

Last edited:

Comments

PRSWILL

Reaction score
I have three sets of tubes - pre and power for my H&K grandmeister 36 head - there are differences in tone- but subtle. The Chinese crap that came with it are very brittle- if you're a heavy metal guy ok, otherwise I prefer the Tung sol or Mullards I have for it.

In my Fender deluxe I run Sovtek 6l6 and they are killer.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Is a 5814A (12AU7 equivalent) is a reasonable replacement for a 12BH7 for a power tube?

After trying both, I can can definitively say no. At least in the Mojotone Studio One. The 5814A works, but lacks the dynamics and higher volume to truly sing as the 12BH7 does. If you want full gain, without the ear ringing volume, it is fine.

There is a lot to be said for ear ringing volume.
wiggle.gif

ryanmichael95

Reaction score
I have something to say regarding all the 12AX7 talk and for Scott Novak. I’ll admit, I don’t have the knowledge or expertise to debate all that. I just play what I play, and I don’t really care how many band aids are in my chain.....it sounds damn good to me and I have fun. And all my favorite guitar players have pretty much the same stuff I use, especially as I’ve played longer and have acquired more gear.
What I really would like Mr. Novak to do, is to debate his opinions with someone who does have the knowledge and expertise to go head to head. People like Mike Soldano, Dave Friedman, Reinhold Bogner, etc. THAT would be very interesting.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
What I really would like Mr. Novak to do, is to debate his opinions with someone who does have the knowledge and expertise to go head to head. People like Mike Soldano, Dave Friedman, Reinhold Bogner, etc. THAT would be very interesting.
What makes you think that hasn't already happened here?
Not everyone uses their real name ;)

You never know who you're talking to on these forums.

Reactions: ehb

My Les Paul Classifieds