Tube Amp Clarification Required

LP1865

Reaction score
Hi!

Might be going for an amp after the Coronavirus scare is over. I currently have a Roland Cube 10gx but i want something louder and better for playing live at school assemblies. While doing some research online I came across a Marshal 1922 which is 150 watt head. Found a Hotone 5 watt amp head to go with it. Will this sound good and will it be loud enough? Or should i go for a combo? Pls help!

Cjsinla

Premium Member
Reaction score
So, you have a 1922 cabinet and a 5 watt head that you are looking at. A 20 watt head might be more appropriate depending on the size of the venue and whether the amp is miced to the PA. What kind of music are you playing?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I agree that the Marshall/Hotone combination will be weak.

What's the budget? As asked, what kind of music is being played?

Also, have you tried mic'ing the Roland Cube?

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hotone is not a tube amp. And it is surprisingly loud, even though 5 SS watts. It will drive the Marshall Cabinet. But it will never be heard over a drummer. You/re going to want 15-20 watts minimum (depending on the amp, if you are not mic'ing into the PA.

tzd

Reaction score
Marshal 1922 which is 150 watt head. Found a Hotone 5 watt amp head to go with it.
The 1922 is not a head, it's a cab that can handle up to 150W of amp power going into it. It does not give you '150 W' of volume on its own, if that's what you're thinking. And Hotone Heart Attack is not a tube amp.

In addition to all the good questions asked above, what's the environment like for your school assembly? Is it indoor or outdoor? How big is the space?

LP1865

Reaction score
OH!

I thought the Hotone was tube. Budget is approx. $500. Im buying used from Ishabashi Japan. How about a Vox MV50AC or a Blackstar HT Club 40? I'm playing a wide variety of music, but mostly heavy rock and metal. Anyone with experience of the above mentioned amps? Im playing a Epi LP Std. Plustop. I'm also not using any pedals or processor.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
but mostly heavy rock and metal. Anyone with experience of the above mentioned amps? Im playing a Epi LP Std. Plustop. I'm also not using any pedals or processor.
I think the Blackstar may be the best option.

The Vox is a nice amp, but the Blackstar is going to be more flexible, and is voiced a little more on the heavy side for rock and metal.

tzd

Reaction score
Budget is approx. $500. Im buying used from Ishabashi Japan. How about a Vox MV50AC or a Blackstar HT Club 40? I'm playing a wide variety of music, but mostly heavy rock and metal. Anyone with experience of the above mentioned amps? Im playing a Epi LP Std. Plustop. I'm also not using any pedals or processor.
Based on the above, BlackStar Club 40 fits the bill. BUT, I got to warn you, it is an heavy-ass amp. In fact it is heavier than the Marshall DSL40C. I don't know if you need to haul it around a lot, but be warned if you do.

LP1865

Reaction score
Yahoo Japan is showIng a Blackstone 100 watt head for 25000 yen. Might either go for that. How many watt cabinet do I need to run the head through that?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Yahoo Japan is showIng a Blackstone 100 watt head for 25000 yen. Might either go for that. How many watt cabinet do I need to run the head through that?
That Marshall cab would be perfect. But dang, that is going to be a LOUD amp.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
That Marshall cab would be perfect. But dang, that is going to be a LOUD amp.
+1
With wattage, it's not 1980 anymore.
40w is more than adequate for anyone, and I mean anyone. If you need more, you are going to be running the amp into a board anyways.
Hundreds of classic rock tunes were recorded with the old Fender Tweed Deluxe... it's only 15w.

The problem with a high wattage amp is you have to get it up too loud before it starts to compress and break up. Newer amps are slightly more forgiving because many have built-in attenuators, but a 100w amp is heavier than a 40w... however, maintenance and tube replacement costs are similar.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
+1
With wattage, it's not 1980 anymore.
40w is more than adequate for anyone, and I mean anyone. If you need more, you are going to be running the amp into a board anyways.
Hundreds of classic rock tunes were recorded with the old Fender Tweed Deluxe... it's only 15w.

The problem with a high wattage amp is you have to get it up too loud before it starts to compress and break up. Newer amps are slightly more forgiving because many have built-in attenuators, but a 100w amp is heavier than a 40w... however, maintenance and tube replacement costs are similar.
That would be far too much power for me. My biggest amp was an 80W Traynor 2x12 + 2x12 cab and I NEVER got to use it to potential. Even my 15W Orange and VOX amps easily sit with my very loud drummer.

moreles

Reaction score
The Blackstar fits the bill. It is the most versatile of the amps mentioned, and is a good choice for almost anyone, period. Some of the others are great but have a more distinct identity which either fits you or becomes limiting. 40 watts is ideal. More is not only unnecessary but also can inflict a really unpleasant physical situation on listeners. And you can dial back a 40w to workable volumes without too much detriment.

LP1865

Reaction score
So Blackstar it is. I am kind of relieved that i dont have to carry a head and a cabinet around. However would 60 watts be better ( at the same price?)

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
So Blackstar it is. I am kind of relieved that i dont have to carry a head and a cabinet around. However would 60 watts be better ( at the same price?)
Define better. It won't feel much louder. If you get the 40W going, it will be LOUD. Plus, it's the 40W version that won all the awards.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
I was in a shop when the DSL40C was fairly new. A dude fired one up at full power and soon cleared half the people from the vast floor area of the premises. Sounded great tho' :yesway:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been playing since the late 70s.
I've owned a 130w Peavey Deuce 2-12, and currently own a 100w Fender 2-12 and Carvin X100 1-12, as well as a Blues Junior and a few battery powered practice amps.
I haven't used the Fender since the early 90s.
I haven't used the Carvin since the late 90s.
Other than the Blues Junior, I've never had any of them past "4" unless I had an attenuator on the output, or "just wanted to see what a dimed 130w amp would do"

My buddy had a Marshall 50w half-stack... couldn't tell the difference between it and my Fender.
40w is cheaper, lighter, generally more compact so easier to pack in the car, and more than loud enough to blow out a drummer.

40w really is the sweet spot.
It's loud enough if for some reason you get stuck in a bad gig with no way to mic the amp or run it into a board, and it'll tame down fairly well for practice.

LP1865

Reaction score
Seems that 40w is the way to go.

I haven't used the Fender since the early 90s.
I haven't used the Carvin since the late 90s.
Just out of curiosity, how much would each of these sell for?

Latest Threads