Tube Amp Aficionado Thread NOT dissing modellers

MyLesPaul462

Reaction score
Here's my take on it:
Tube amps almost feel like living entities. They're made up of all these real world components. And they really do sound different from day to day. They can have a bad day and where they just sound out of whack or stuffy. But when the tubes warm up the right way... the way the tone swells as you play them (apparently that's a voltage dip, also known as the sag, especially true if you have a tube rectifier). So as you push it it behaves differently each night. They still haven't been able to capture all that nuance of reactiveness that isn't even part of tone.

Now, if your a pro giger, where you just need to show up and make sure you get the exact sound you want, the modeler makes so much more sense. Way more reliable, let parts that can fail, just dial in your settings, and save the patch, and you'll get that same sound every night.

Then there's just the vintage vs modern sound divide. If you want the analog vintage sound go with the tube amp. If your ok with a very sharp, contemporary sound go with the mod.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Blackheart Handsome Devil, smooth and warm boutique clean tone, also a great pedal platform for anything you want.

handsomedevil2.jpg

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my take on it:
Tube amps almost feel like living entities. They're made up of all these real world components. And they really do sound different from day to day. They can have a bad day and where they just sound out of whack or stuffy. But when the tubes warm up the right way... the way the tone swells as you play them (apparently that's a voltage dip, also known as the sag, especially true if you have a tube rectifier). So as you push it it behaves differently each night. They still haven't been able to capture all that nuance of reactiveness that isn't even part of tone.

Now, if your a pro giger, where you just need to show up and make sure you get the exact sound you want, the modeler makes so much more sense. Way more reliable, let parts that can fail, just dial in your settings, and save the patch, and you'll get that same sound every night.

Then there's just the vintage vs modern sound divide. If you want the analog vintage sound go with the tube amp. If your ok with a very sharp, contemporary sound go with the mod.
I agree. What ever gets people to play, is good. For me, it's tube amps.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For mainly playing in my small condo on lower volumes, does it really matter if it's tube or modeling
Now a days it doesn't matter live or in the studio either

but hey nice necro post :)

ezgif-4-5b4cb88efc.gif

Latest Threads