Trying Vintage Inspired Pots...

Mars Hall

Reaction score
The VIPOTS are advertised as "the most accurate 50's Centralab replica pots on the market".

https://www.vintageinspiredpickups.com/vipots

What is the "common placement" for the hottest pot? I do know the 2 highest values should be volumes but would the bridge or neck get the largest? Here's what I have 538, 531, 517 and 513. My best guess would be, 538 volume, 517 tone for bridge and 531 volume, 513 tone for the neck pickup.

These are being installed in my 96 R7. I play a variety of styles, Blues, Jazz, Rock, old Country and Gospel, mostly through Fender or Marshall tube combo amps.

I should add that the pickups are Throbak SLE-101 with nos wire. Caps are Luxe PIO "Bumblebee" repros.

Norton

Reaction score
Looking forward to hearing how this turns out.
Their pickups look very interesting too.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm very interested in their pots and pups as well. Let us know how it turns out.

tigger

Reaction score
If they work they would be worth the money for me. I have a bag of pots at home that pretty much have just the not quite right taper and I'm in need of one to replace a '63 pot.

Mars Hall

Reaction score
I’m very happy to say that the VIpots are the best I’ve ever heard. They achieved the goal of recreating the sound, tone, taper and clarity of the old Centralabs. BRAVO! I installed with Luxe Bumblebee repro caps. I’m totally thrilled!

yamariv

Reaction score
I’m very happy to say that the VIpots are the best I’ve ever heard. They achieved the goal of recreating the sound, tone, taper and clarity of the old Centralabs. BRAVO! I installed with Luxe Bumblebee repro caps. I’m totally thrilled!

PICS or it didn't happen!! :dude:

Antigua

Reaction score
I always put the highest resistance pot on the neck volume.

It probably doesn't make a difference you can really hear unless the pots are wildly off spec. For example, if you have two pots that are 450k each, and two pots that are 550k each, which would 10% off spec in both directions, the difference between then is only about 1dB at resonance. On the other hand, the difference between two 300k pots versus two 500k pots would vary the resonant amplitude about 3dB, by contrast.

Latest Threads