Trying to track down a specific guitar...

briansayler

Reaction score
I received a Les Paul Special, cherry red, back in 1994, as a high school graduation present. It was purchased from a pretty well-known store at that time, Daddy's Junky Music Stores (Salem, NH location). They've since gone out of business.

Like an idiot, I sold it at a pawn shop back around 2003 or so. I can't recall at all where I sold it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to track it down. I assume that without a serial number or any other identifying information it would be impossible, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try here. If I could find a current owner, I'd offer to buy it back.

Sinster

Reaction score
How would you know if it was the one you pawned if you don't have a s/n or identifying marks?

jstarr823

Reaction score
Basically impossible. I tried to find an old guitar once... even knew who I sold it to. He sold it to someone else. Couldn’t find that guy. Your guitar could be in a dumpster for all we know.

moreles

Reaction score
You could post in the "wanted to buy" section of Vintage Guitar, but I don't think anyone really reads that part. W/o a S/N you're not going to find it unless there was something distinctive about it. Best to settle for a lookalike, if you really "need" to have one. It's likely that the time since you sold it has seen the thing get played, beat, maybe modded... honestly, I doubt you would feel it is "your" guitar even if you could find it. Personally, I recommend living in the present and looking to the present, as reviving the past doesn't always end up being what you really want.

Adinol

Reaction score
Like an idiot, I sold it ...
I know the feeling and I can feel your pain. I also sold my favorite LP, also like an idiot, and it was also a 1994. At the time I thought I'd just buy another one. No other LP was ever the same.

But I agree with moreles, I think this guitar would o longer feel like your guitar, even if you found the actual one.

Be patient and shop around for used or vintage LPs and when you find one you like grab it.

Good luck.

ARandall

Reaction score
No idea where you sold it
No serial number.....

....no hope.

Look at specials, find a good one in red, and let that be the new one that (won't) get away.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Premium Member
Reaction score
Damn, B, just had a flashback , I was auditioning acoustics in the Salem Daddy's.
back in the late 80s, I think....neat little store. They allowed me to pull any
acoustic, hanging, down, and try it out...no pressure.

And down the road was a neat little 'record' store who had Beatles imports and rarities;
damn can't remember the name of it. A guy I worked with, later told me the owner was
coked out and had to sell the place. I wondered why there were so many collector Beatles
for sale. He must of been snorting them up his nose... ah memories...

Sorry didn't mean to get off track...

Good luck with your hunt...you may find one close enough to call your own though.

Adinol

Reaction score
If you sold it in your local area perhaps you should go to every gig in the area start talking about it to musicians. Do you have pictures of it? Show those pictures to musicians and tell them to spread the word. Leave your contact info with everyone you talk to. Go back to same venues and remind everyone. Word will go out.

But if you sold it on eBay, then it is probably hopeless. Although, musicians have found lost and stolen guitars after many years. So, never say that it's hopeless. I would, however, also make it my business to buy another one. Perhaps one that you'll end up liking even more.

Good luck.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
There was a lovely story about a guy who got his guitar back thing is he had the serial # memorized :(sorry man tough sleddin hope you get your baby back if you do make it a movie!:)

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
Of course it's a long shot, but you've got nothing to lose. Post on the local CL about anyone who might have bought it in 2003. Start there. @Adinol made a good point about the local scene. Check it out. Sure, in 16 years it's likely gone into the ether, but you never know, maybe it's sitting under some 31 year old's bed down the road from you who never learned to play after buying it in that pawn shop.

I don't mean to lecture, but this is one of those that if you put nothing into it, you'll get nothing. If you put something in, *maybe* (however slight the odds), maybe, you'll get something out.

I'm rooting for you. For ten years I've been after the Telecaster my father bought new in '67. Good luck man!

jstarr823

Reaction score
Stranger things have happened. If it’s meant to be, you’ll see it again. Just don’t be too upset when it turns out to be like that super hot cheerleader from high school who now weighs 2 bills.