Trying to track down a harsh frequency in my live tone.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
I put in a high cut around 10 to 9k, usually lower 3k and/or 5k in my Line 6 Helix for playing live. But somewhere it still sounds ice-picky or metallic when playing live. I wouldn't describe it as fizzy.

I'm about to record in my DAW to find what's sticking out. As mentioned I would have guessed the problem would be around 3 or 5k. Any other frequencies I should look at?

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Is coming direct from the speaker to your ear? If so, try a diffuser on the speaker(s).

hbucker

Reaction score
Are you using an frfr and going direct?

ARandall

Reaction score
The only way you can really track down something like that is with an adjustable frequency notch filter. I mean, nothing you can do will make any guesses from us be anything more than the wildest stab in the dark possible.

Be aware that the offending frequency could be wholly a product of your ear sensitivity, and nothing to do with a frequency spike.

dspelman

Reaction score
There are a number of RTA apps available for iPads and iPhones that can be used to analyze your frequency spectrum. Some are free and most do a pretty good job of graphically pointing out where you need to apply some EQ.

Recording direct from your pedalboard (for example) won't let you know if there's a spike in the amplifier/audio system you're using. You'll also want to be aware that several kinds of speaker systems (4x12s are notorious for this) will beam treble if you're on-axis, and will sound completely different off-axis.

Mr Insane

Reaction score
I think I've solved the problem by dialing up the mids on the amp block. Not that they were scooped to begin with.

For live the Helix is connect right into FOH and I monitor with in-ears.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
2k drives me crazy when recording. I almost always dial a few decibels out. 500hz, too.

Latest Threads