trying to power 12 volt pedal psu from usb power bank.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not getting anywhere, tried a 12V ready made one, calcs have it putting out 8w at 12v, thing is power bank shuts off when connected even with no pedals connected. there is 12 v at the socket tested with mulitmeter. So, I try a premade dc to dc board that claims to put out upto 4amps, but again, usb battery says no, given they are supposed to put out 3 amps what am I missing? I have ordered a few usb ppower only cables to see if two outputs of 2.4 amps gives me any success. Aim is to power pedals from a usb battery. not especially high power devices but no joy at all so far.

diavolo

Reaction score
i have a pedal board i designed from easily sourced parts, powered off a USB battery bank and i have 11 pedals and a pedal sized amp on it. all of the pedals and the amp are 9v though not 12v.
when you say USB battery bank are you talking about a phone charger type of battery bank?
thats what im using. they all spit out 5v you have to step it up, as far as I know theres only a 5v to 9v step up converter.
but the battery cant spit out more amps than the converter can handle. they can only handle a max of 2amps in and put 800mA out.

the USB battery bank will shut off if it doesnt detect a device.
I dont know what youre trying to connect to it, but that seems to be the problem.

are you trying to power a pedal power supply brick thing? that runs on 12v? the kind that normally plus into AC power? like a wall socket? if so why are you bothering with that?
are your pedals all 9v?

if you want to tell me what components youre trying to use and their specs, I can tell you what youre doing wrong. Its confusing to read what you described above.
or
you can tell me what pedals you want to power and I can help spec the correct parts for you to make it happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello, diavola, we chatted about it earlier I think, you suggested the 9v one and mentioned the power issue, I was trying to come up with a system that used the isolated outputs of the wall wart powered adapter. I think I will need to forget that then and use the 9 volt system and daisy chain the out puts.
This is the part I am using at the moment.: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X38SKX3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Using a usb power cable soldered to the input from the usb phone charger, then soldered the lead into the pedal/powersupply with reversed polarity so it’s center negative. The voltage showing at out is what I set it to, either 9 or 12 volts. And center neg as confirmed by multimeter..

Last edited:
Reactions: Who

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the new usb cables arrived today, with 5.5 and 2.1mm dimensions for the male, so cut one up and soldered it to another one of the circuit boards and: 9v and 18v are go! so i guess first board was duff somehow, not sure how though, as there was the correct voltage at the output.
B9961B05-1B00-495C-BAE0-C36781F678A0.jpeg

diavolo

Reaction score
so you got it?
that voltage converter looks scary exposed and laying on the carpet.
hopefully youre going to put it in some sort of protected and ventilated housing.

whats the benefit of using the pedal power supply?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the 9 volters probably none, except maybe some benefit from the isolated outputs? I use the PSU for the 2 18v outputs it provides. As two of my pedals use 18v. Yes it’s going in a small aluminium housing, that was used bare just whilst I was testing it. Ideally I would like to house the battery and the psu in one box with a usb input socket. I could get away with just one output except the nux tape core seems very power hungry. So I use the 10800mah battery that has 2 x 2.4 amp outputs.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
in going for the smallest housing i could find, i might have over done it. going to be tight getting a strain relief on cables.
9B4F090B-0134-4A85-AA02-BB36767D59B1.jpeg

Latest Threads