Trying to move to silent practice - what am I missing?

BadMongo

Reaction score
Hey everyone - hoping you can help me out here. Recently picked up an Ox Box for silent playing through headphones and maybe eventually do some recording. Couldn't be happier with it for just practicing, but I've been wanting to play along to albums and backing tracks again, preferably silently (young kids, close neighbors), preferably streamed off my phone, but willing to run it off my computer if need be. I picked up a Scarlett 6i6 to run as the audio interface once I figured out I needed one of those.

So I've got my amp going into the Ox Box, and the ox box to a 6i6 via S/PDIF. I bought a USB-C to 1/4" cable to run between my phone (Galaxy Note 10+) and a 1/4" input on the 6i6. Garageband also isn't picking up the 6i6 (it's hanging on loading the drivers but I'm investigating that separately). I can hear the ox box coming into the 6i6 through headphones (though it doesn't sound as good as it does straight out of the ox).

So ideal situation would be running phone and Ox Box into the 6i6, adjusting the volume, and running it out through my headphones.
Acceptable fallback would be running the Ox Box into the 6i6 and into my Macbook, and running the backing track/songs on that, and then running it out through my headphones.

I've been trying to read up and it sounds like I might need a DAC as part of the chain between my phone and the 6i6, but honestly I'm so new to all of this and I'm just lost, but I'm reluctant to keep buying more cords and adding more to this growing conglomeration of cables and boxes on top of my amp, especially if it's just another thing to try and have it not work. Hoping I'm close and that someone can give me a nudge in the right direction here, I figure I can't be the only one who's tried to do this. Thanks in advance all.

simon connor

Reaction score
I was struggling with the same scenario: sleeping child, nearby neighbors, and being completely incapable of setting up computer software/hardware/recording/playback etc, I bought a Spark 40 amp and a set of headphones for $270, and it does everything you mention above. You can even use it as a recording interface if you want to (although I do not.) It can either be a plug in and play digital amp with four amp models, or you can connect to your phone via bluetooth, and there are about thirty amp models, and hundreds of effects via pedal simulators available via that route. For me the best part is the backing tracks built into the phone app, and you can access other backing tracks from YouTube as well. It's all easy to use, with no technical expertise required. I have been playing guitar for 45 years, and that was the best practice tool I have ever come across, and the best $270 I have ever spent.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Ditch the SPDIF connection and use 1/4” TS cable instead between OX and 6i6. You only need one cable since the guitar track is mono. You can use stereo effects with a mono track on the output bus.

In GarageBand set the Input and Output Device to the 6ii6 and connect headphones to the 6i6, not the OX. On the guitar track in GarageBand, make sure the track is set to Record Enable to hear the guitar.

Then you can either import or create your own backing tracks on separate tracks in GarageBand.

If using cab sim on OX, disable any cab sim on guitar track in GarageBand.

You don’t need the phone for backing tracks. Copy any songs from the phone to the Mac and then import the audio file into GarageBand on its own track.

One track for guitar.
One track for backing.
Keep it simple.

Last edited:

BadMongo

Reaction score
Thanks y'all.
I'm pretty sure they'd kick me out when I started looking for the jack to plug in my headphones :laugh2:
I was struggling with the same scenario: sleeping child, nearby neighbors, and being completely incapable of setting up computer software/hardware/recording/playback etc, I bought a Spark 40 amp and a set of headphones for $270, and it does everything you mention above. You can even use it as a recording interface if you want to (although I do not.) It can either be a plug in and play digital amp with four amp models, or you can connect to your phone via bluetooth, and there are about thirty amp models, and hundreds of effects via pedal simulators available via that route. For me the best part is the backing tracks built into the phone app, and you can access other backing tracks from YouTube as well. It's all easy to use, with no technical expertise required. I have been playing guitar for 45 years, and that was the best practice tool I have ever come across, and the best $270 I have ever spent.
I gave that and the Yamaha practice amps a pretty hard look, but I really love the sound of my Marshall and wanted to keep heading in that direction, especially because I love it even more with the Ox. I've never enjoyed playing as much as I do now, but super glad you're loving yours!
Ditch the SPDIF connection and use 1/4” TS cable instead between OX and 6i6. You only need one cable since the guitar track is mono. You can use stereo effects with a mono track on the output bus.

In GarageBand set the Input and Output Device to the 6ii6 and connect headphones to the 6i6, not the OX. On the guitar track in GarageBand, make sure the track is set to Record Enable to hear the guitar.

Then you can either import or create your own backing tracks on separate tracks in GarageBand.

If using cab sim on OX, disable any cab sim on guitar track in GarageBand.

You don’t need the phone for backing tracks. Copy any songs from the phone to the Mac and then import the audio file into GarageBand on its own track.

One track for guitar.
One track for backing.
Keep it simple.
So I ran the SPDIF because the Ox actually does do stereo - both in terms of panning the different mic setups and with the reverb/room mic/some of the other effects. However, your suggestion did end up being the solution - I got the 6i6 running into garageband, did headphones into the laptop, and can just stream whatever I want and play along. It's a stupid amount of too nice equipment for the task overkill, but man I'm happy.
Thanks again!

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Thanks y'all.

I'm pretty sure they'd kick me out when I started looking for the jack to plug in my headphones :laugh2:

I gave that and the Yamaha practice amps a pretty hard look, but I really love the sound of my Marshall and wanted to keep heading in that direction, especially because I love it even more with the Ox. I've never enjoyed playing as much as I do now, but super glad you're loving yours!

So I ran the SPDIF because the Ox actually does do stereo - both in terms of panning the different mic setups and with the reverb/room mic/some of the other effects. However, your suggestion did end up being the solution - I got the 6i6 running into garageband, did headphones into the laptop, and can just stream whatever I want and play along. It's a stupid amount of too nice equipment for the task overkill, but man I'm happy.
Thanks again!
The 6i6 is an audio interface.
You can set it up to replace the onboard sound card on the Mac.
Set the Output in Sound Preferences on the Mac to the 6i6.
Then you can connect headphones to the 6i6 and monitor everything.
GarageBand and all system sounds including streaming from the web will be heard through the 6i6.

Last edited:

dspelman

Reaction score
Hey everyone - hoping you can help me out here. Recently picked up an Ox Box for silent playing through headphones and maybe eventually do some recording.
Find a used Korg Pandora. I have a PX3D and a PX5D. Plug your headphones into one end, the guitar into the other and play. There's an Aux input so that you can play along with MP3s, etc., and there are bass patterns, drum patterns, amps, cabs, FX, a slower-downer, a pitch shifter, a tuner, a metronome and outputs to a DAW. Should run you under $100 and you don't need any of the rest of that stuff until you want to complicate your life. Runs on both AC and batteries.

Latest Threads