Trying to identify my guitar from 20 years ago

pulpadded

Reaction score
I thought it was an 80s Les Paul Jr, technically Special.

I was told it originally had 2 P90s and had the neck pickup route filled and the bridge routed for a humbucker. It was repainted many times. It appeared to have a serial number stamped as a Gibson would under the paint. The headstock appeared authentic. The shape looked like a normal Jr. 80s Jrs had a tune o matic. This would mean minimal alternations, pickup changes and paint.

However, looking at it now the odd part would be the heel. It starts higher than on a normal Jr. The heel starts towards the top of the cutaway, while Jrs start at the bottom. Due to this, the bridge and pickup appear a bit higher too.

It was set neck. Aside from the heel, everything appeared correct and Gibson.

This is the only photo I have.
GibsonLP1.png

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah usually the neck joins the body at the 16th fret,.... this one looks like its at the 20th fret.

Very extremely weird.

Hey @LtDave32 ,.... have you seen anything like this?

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was the stability? That neck looks like it's hanging on for dear life. Great looking guitar though. Never seen anything like it.

Neofelis Nebulosa

Reaction score
Love the paint job

I usually just see a pickguard with animal print, not the whole top

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
I understand the neck position,... it creates better access to the higher frets,.... just never seen a Gibson offer a model....a single cut “Junior” or a “Special” with a neck attached this way.... only a Double Cut and SGs had end of fretboard attachments to the body.
Maybe a one off custom order or a luthier modified creation.

Too bad you only got this one pic.

Knoby

Reaction score
Looks like the pickup and the bridge have also been shifted to the right.

Can someone photoshop sidebyside images with this and a normal jnr?

pulpadded

Reaction score
How was the stability? That neck looks like it's hanging on for dear life. Great looking guitar though. Never seen anything like it.
Normal. I never noticed, the heel was a normal heel. I assume the tenon went further down.

Love the paint job

I usually just see a pickguard with animal print, not the whole top

It was wallpaper and clearcoat. If I can figure out what model it was I want to make a copy.

Looks like the pickup and the bridge have also been shifted to the right.

Can someone photoshop sidebyside images with this and a normal jnr?
I did, yes. I mocked what it would look like without the refinish beside a standard Les Paul.

gaajmqk5gvn91.png

moreles

Reaction score
Since Gibson did not produce any guitars with that spec, why do we think it's an odd Gibson junior rather than some kind of thrown-together parts guitar? Maybe a Gibson neck from some other model and a different or reworked body? Unless there's some good work unseen at the neck joint, it appears to be a showoff guitar that emphasizes visuals at the expense of what makes a LP a LP. But heck, any stable-bodied guitar can sound terrific in many genres of music, depending on the rig. Since the OP writeup is full of "seems" rather than facts, it's a waste of time speculating,

pulpadded

Reaction score
Since Gibson did not produce any guitars with that spec, why do we think it's an odd Gibson junior rather than some kind of thrown-together parts guitar? Maybe a Gibson neck from some other model and a different or reworked body? Unless there's some good work unseen at the neck joint, it appears to be a showoff guitar that emphasizes visuals at the expense of what makes a LP a LP. But heck, any stable-bodied guitar can sound terrific in many genres of music, depending on the rig. Since the OP writeup is full of "seems" rather than facts, it's a waste of time speculating,
How do you get a parts guitar from something with a set neck? Essentially every parts guitar I have seen was bolt on, if the neck and body mismatched. The paint was extremely rough. I sort of doubt anyone was doing great neck pocket work but poor finish.

It could be a reworked Gibson, with a shifted neck, but if my search at the time was correct, the serial checked out as a Gibson neck.

The point here is speculating, so. No need to waste your time. I say seems because it's been 20 years and I only have the above photo.

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Reaction score
How do you get a parts guitar from something with a set neck? Essentially every parts guitar I have seen was bolt on, if the neck and body mismatched. The paint was extremely rough. I sort of doubt anyone was doing great neck pocket work but poor finish.

It could be a reworked Gibson, with a shifted neck, but if my search at the time was correct, the serial checked out as a Gibson neck.

The point here is speculating, so. No need to waste your time. I say seems because it's been 20 years and I only have the above photo.
Well.... a parts guitar can be anything,.... set neck or not. A set neck can be steamed off,.... and re-set onto anything that will have a acceptable joint pocket.

I do see a purpose for having the neck set in this manner as it would create greater access to upper frets,.....but of course the bridge and pickup would also have to be moved. Since a Single Cut Junior is a slab body,... a new body would be easily made for a Gibson neck,.... and a '70s Double Cut Junior or even a SG Junior neck would be a good candidate for such a project. 20 years or more ago these guitars are plentiful to serve up for such an idea.

Even that case looks like a one off ugly mofo.

pulpadded

Reaction score
As mentioned, the neck pickup route was visibly filled under the refinish.

The case was a Musicians Friend brand generic body shape case.

Latest Threads