trying to get in shape...

sk8rat

Reaction score
I'm about 25lbs under what my Ideal weight would be. as of Monday I started a high calorie, high protein diet. around 2500-2700 calories a day. on an average day I was probably only eating around 1500 calories or less and I'm very active so I have lost about 10lbs in the last year.

I'm still trying to figuring out my workout plan and trying to balance everything out because I live a super active lifestyle and am starting to climb a lot which is a full body workout. since I'm at a newbie weight, my goal shouldn't be too hard to reach.

any tips on balancing between working out and climbing would be appreciated.

meatball

Reaction score
I am just the opposite my friend .. I am here at Planet Fitness in the lobby after my workout I got here at 3:00 AM to get some work in ,, I am starting over ,,, again ,,, I hate the rollercoaster ,too much sweet Tea , pizza , Burgers , Bagels , doughnuts , biscuits and fatty fries . I have a doctors appointment today at 11:00 whre she is gonna tell me I am a tremendous fat Ass, something the button on my pants has been screaming at me for the past 8 months after my last attempt to get thin again .So its a lifestyle change . I just had a couple of V8 Pom/Blueberry energy drinks and some almonds for breakfast .Man I want to hit the drivethru for a drive by fat in bagel , I started the diet last week so I m past the cravings part of the regimen . So I hope you achieve your goal . Its gonna take longer when you are 63 years old . But,The good news , I have a gig next Saturday in Greenville ,SC at Macs Speed Shop Bar B que . I cant wait ,, I get food as part of the contract ... and they do have great salads there . Come on out if you are in the area and say hey to my fat ass !!!

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am just the opposite my friend .. I am here at Planet Fitness in the lobby after my workout I got here at 3:00 AM to get some work in ,, I am starting over ,,, again ,,, I hate the rollercoaster ,too much sweet Tea , pizza , Burgers , Bagels , doughnuts , biscuits and fatty fries . I have a doctors appointment today at 11:00 whre she is gonna tell me I am a tremendous fat Ass, something the button on my pants has been screaming at me for the past 8 months after my last attempt to get thin again .So its a lifestyle change . I just had a couple of V8 Pom/Blueberry energy drinks and some almonds for breakfast .Man I want to hit the drivethru for a drive by fat in bagel , I started the diet last week so I m past the cravings part of the regimen . So I hope you achieve your goal . Its gonna take longer when you are 63 years old . But,The good news , I have a gig next Saturday in Greenville ,SC at Macs Speed Shop Bar B que . I cant wait ,, I get food as part of the contract ... and they do have great salads there . Come on out if you are in the area and say hey to my fat ass !!!
Holy DejaVu, Batman! You just described me!!! Wow!

Only I hae done nothing about it for over a year. I am +35lb. And, went from 33 waist pants to 38 waist, over the year. I eat like shit: burgers, fries, pizza, mexican, steak, steak & steak, baked potato with a stick of butter on top... well, you get the idea.

I have ny annual physical tomorrow morning. I fully expect to get the "speech". And, I deserve it, too! My family says that I look pregnant (they call my gut a food-baby) and they are taking bets on when I have a heart attack and fall over dead.

I used to be3 in GREAT shape, up to last year. I ran 3-5 miles each day, 4 days/week. I went to the gym 4 days/week and did weight training. Not to look like Arnold, rather just to maintain and reduce the atrophy that comes with being 60+ years old.

Something has to change. I keep telling myself that. But, then I find myself eating a bag of Lays, sucking down a couple of diet Cokes and washing that down with a few (yes, as in 3) powdered donuts, while sitting on the fucking couch, all fucking night!

Seriously, I have to change.

Maybe this will be my wakeup call???? Not to hijack your thread Sk8, but you have it made. Stay that way, Soon enough, you could find yourself on the other side of the glass, like us old, fat bastards.

scott 351 wins

Reaction score
Lift weights if your wanting to put on fat free weight. Consume the right types of protein, like whey protein shakes. There's other proteins but make sure you're preparing them without oils, grease etc... boneless chicken breasts , I would either boil them or bake them with nothing on them. Tuna in water out of the can is good too. Stay away from red meats...The right kind of carbs like rice, fruits, vegetables for energy. The more lean muscle mass you put on the more calories you need to maintain.

Good luck!

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Lift weights if your wanting to put on fat free weight. Consume the right types of protein, like whey protein shakes. There's other proteins but make sure you're preparing them without oils, grease etc... boneless chicken breasts , I would either boil them or bake them with nothing on them. Tuna in water out of the can is good too. Stay away from red meats...The right kind of carbs like rice, fruits, vegetables for energy. The more lean muscle mass you put on the more calories you need to maintain.

Good luck!
+1....and nice problem to have! Lol

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holy DejaVu, Batman! You just described me!!! Wow!

Only I hae done nothing about it for over a year. I am +35lb. And, went from 33 waist pants to 38 waist, over the year. I eat like shit: burgers, fries, pizza, mexican, steak, steak & steak, baked potato with a stick of butter on top... well, you get the idea.

I have ny annual physical tomorrow morning. I fully expect to get the "speech". And, I deserve it, too! My family says that I look pregnant (they call my gut a food-baby) and they are taking bets on when I have a heart attack and fall over dead.

I used to be3 in GREAT shape, up to last year. I ran 3-5 miles each day, 4 days/week. I went to the gym 4 days/week and did weight training. Not to look like Arnold, rather just to maintain and reduce the atrophy that comes with being 60+ years old.

Something has to change. I keep telling myself that. But, then I find myself eating a bag of Lays, sucking down a couple of diet Cokes and washing that down with a few (yes, as in 3) powdered donuts, while sitting on the fucking couch, all fucking night!

Seriously, I have to change.

Maybe this will be my wakeup call???? Not to hijack your thread Sk8, but you have it made. Stay that way, Soon enough, you could find yourself on the other side of the glass, like us old, fat bastards.
Sounds like we have about the same workout. I love it.

dissaffected

Reaction score
With aerobic sports like climbing, the more weight whether muscle or fat that you carry, the more oxygen you use. The more oxygen used, the less your performance. That is why milers, 5k runners, tiathletes, marathoners, etc etc are slim. There is a balance that you will want to strike but I have no idea where that balance is for you. The weight you are may be just right. An old coach used to tell my rower wife, lose all the weight you can until it affects performance. Determining that point is why coaches exist I guess

Not much usable advice here. But some thoughts nonetheless.

penguinchit

Reaction score
I'm about 25lbs under what my Ideal weight would be. as of Monday I started a high calorie, high protein diet. around 2500-2700 calories a day. on an average day I was probably only eating around 1500 calories or less and I'm very active so I have lost about 10lbs in the last year.

I'm still trying to figuring out my workout plan and trying to balance everything out because I live a super active lifestyle and am starting to climb a lot which is a full body workout. since I'm at a newbie weight, my goal shouldn't be too hard to reach.

any tips on balancing between working out and climbing would be appreciated.
You could reverse everything @sk8rat said and it would probably describe me.

sk8rat

Reaction score
had a super quick but intense leg workout today. I could barely walk after.

I'm already getting to the point where I see what alterations I'm going to have to make in my diet. to start, I've been eating too much peanut butter. I'm going to cut that in half because I feel like I just have a mass sitting in my stomach all day. I've also been going pretty carb heavy and not eating a lot of meat so I'm going to change that as well.

If you are into climbing, don’t gain ANY weight.

Ever see a good climber that looked like they were a normal weight?

The guy with his arms up is the best in the world. He’s got fantastic strength/weight ratio, but he’s very thin.

With aerobic sports like climbing, the more weight whether muscle or fat that you carry, the more oxygen you use. The more oxygen used, the less your performance. That is why milers, 5k runners, tiathletes, marathoners, etc etc are slim. There is a balance that you will want to strike but I have no idea where that balance is for you. The weight you are may be just right. An old coach used to tell my rower wife, lose all the weight you can until it affects performance. Determining that point is why coaches exist I guess

Not much usable advice here. But some thoughts nonetheless.
climbing is more of a hobby than anything and while it's fun, I would rather be in better shape than a better climber. also, I was at the gym a few months ago and there was a foreign team here for a competition. one of the guys was probably only 19 or 20 and built like hercules. it was pretty impressive watching him climb.

Reactions: Who

sk8rat

Reaction score
Don't workout too much. If gaining weight is the goal, lift heavy compound lifts and don't do it more than 3 times per week. Take your time, rest between sets, sleep.
I'm shooting for four consecutive days/week but I'm still in the early stages so well see how it goes. still trying to get a routine sorted out. I think I might limit climbing to two days a week and working out to three or four.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
When I was in my early 20s I tried to gain weight. Starting drinking protein shakes. Gained 10 lbs after months and months of it. Once I stopped drinking them I lost the weight I put on. I was very active too. When I hit 30 things started to change. My weight went up about 10 lbs.

sk8rat

Reaction score

Good luck!
I've been drinking whey protein shakes before my work outs. cup of oats, two tbsp of peanut butter, cup of milk and protein powder. it's about 720 calories and about 50g of protein. I was using 4tbsp of peanut butter but it was way too rich. I think I might switch to bananas instead of peanut butter.

sk8rat

Reaction score
When I was in my early 20s I tried to gain weight. Starting drinking protein shakes. Gained 10 lbs after months and months of it. Once I stopped drinking them I lost the weight I put on. I was very active too. When I hit 30 things started to change. My weight went up about 10 lbs.
I'm not going crazy with the protein shakes but I can see how that would happen, losing all the weight you gained. pretty much anything is better than what I have been the last year. I was eating mostly fast food and under eating everyday. If I do decide to cut out the protein shakes ill make sure I don't fall into a calorie deficit again.

Droog

Reaction score
Join a gym, hire a trainer if you can afford it, have a healthy diet, and hit the weights 3 times a week, do core exercises, dead lifts, squats, bench press, etc...Job done.

sk8rat

Reaction score
Join a gym, hire a trainer if you can afford it, have a healthy diet, and hit the weights 3 times a week, do core exercises, dead lifts, squats, bench press, etc...Job done.
I cant afford all of that but I am fairly confident I can do it without a trainer. it would be nice, just too much money.

Pete M

Reaction score
So you want to put on weight?
  1. Stop all cardio
  2. Stop counting calories
  3. Eat like there's no tomorrow, eat plenty of meat and fish, it doesn't really matter what you eat though, you'll need the energy.
  4. Lift weights 3 times a week (Barbell Squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, etc)
  5. You'll be hungry after the gym so eat more.
  6. Get plenty of sleep
  7. Do this for a year at least.
You'll need a gym membership, you can do this stuff at home but it'll cost a fortune to setup and buy enough weights. Better off going to the gym. 5X5 stronglifts is the program I did to start, there's a lot of information but it's as basic as it gets at it's core. You'll find the body weight climbing thing will sort itself out. Putting on muscle will allow you to easily lift around your own bodyweight versus having skinny arms and legs and never being able to hoik your flabby ass around. I weigh about the same as when I started now, but the muscle to fat ratio is way different.

Reactions: Who

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I don't know.
Being "normally" lean is not a health risk factor. Quite the contrary.
I'm not sure you're doing the right thing absorbing all sorts of calories just to get bigger.
What does your doctor say?

Just caring for the "unknown to me but a MLP pal " that you are.
:thumb: