Trussrod already completly loose - still not enough relief

Waldquelle

Reaction score
Hi, for an upcoming gig I need to drop to D Standard for some songs. So i decided to use the guitar, the gets the least attention in my collection and have it permanently in D standard. Usually I play 10s on it, now strung it with 11s. When setting it up evrything looked fine, but now the neck is too straight. It has a very slight bow, but there are places it buzzes. The truss-rod (single action) is already loose all the way.So I read about my options.

1. Easiest thing would be 12s, I guess
2. Try some of the heat methods (not sure about that..)
3. Having it tuned to E-Standard, and just dropping right before playing (Will that work? Will it be in tune for at least a couple of minutes)
4. Taking another guitar for that few songs?

What would you recommend?

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Raise the action at the bridge just enough to cure the buzzes.With the reduced tension on the strings at the lower tuning, the slightly higher action shouldn't be a big problem. For that matter, the action height is probaly already a bit lower than it was at standard tuning! You will likely need to address the intonation also. Let the neck settle in to its new tension for a couple weeks and see what happens.
That's What I'd Do,
Gene

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a back bow problem. But to add relief you must tighten the truss rod.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The strings at pitch add about 130 lbs pulling forward constantly.

This results in the neck becoming slightly "cupped" under that constant pressure.

The truss rod's very reason for being there is to provide resistance to that cupping.

The more you tighten , the greater the resistance.

BKS

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Tokai. Put a really thick set on it and tuned standard. It helped.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi, for an upcoming gig I need to drop to D Standard for some songs. So i decided to use the guitar, the gets the least attention in my collection and have it permanently in D standard. Usually I play 10s on it, now strung it with 11s. When setting it up evrything looked fine, but now the neck is too straight. It has a very slight bow, but there are places it buzzes. The truss-rod (single action) is already loose all the way.So I read about my options.

1. Easiest thing would be 12s, I guess
2. Try some of the heat methods (not sure about that..)
3. Having it tuned to E-Standard, and just dropping right before playing (Will that work? Will it be in tune for at least a couple of minutes)
4. Taking another guitar for that few songs?

What would you recommend?

Avoid the heat for now. That sort of thing is unpredictabe as to the amount of change. You can't control how much it will effect the neck.

To get where you're going with this, I would put a set of 12-56 on it and see what happens for a while.

Waldquelle

Reaction score
Its not a back bow for sure. There is a tiny gap on the 12th fret when pressing the string at the first and last fret.

Latest Threads