Truss rod tool does not fit in my LP Traditional

fzero666

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently bought 2010 LP Traditional Gold Top. Neck was straight with almost no relief, so I decided to correct it a little bit. I always do basic adjustement on my guitars by myself, I give it to tech only for more advanced jobs (fret grinding etc).
I didnt received tool, but I have 5/16 from my ESP Eclipse. But it does not fit. It fits to around half of truss rod screw, but will not go any further. I moved it around 1/8, but decided not to move it more. As it does not fit till the end of screw I can easily damage truss rod screw.
Tool from ESP is 5/16, I even checked it with 8mm allen key (5/16 inch is 7.93mm) and it fits perfectly.
I'm afraid I might have cavity in headstock not drilled well (too much wood). I've checked tools dedicated for Gibsons on the web and they seem to be same as my for ESP so buying one will not solve.
Anybody has simillar issue with LP Traditional?

Trea

Reaction score
It sounds like perhaps the socket walls are too thick? Try a different tool.

tzd

Reaction score
Can you see the whole hex nut in the truss rod cavity?

M.C.J.

Reaction score
You say you've done basic adjustments yourself, and you say that you are using the right tools. If this is true, then perhaps it might have a bit excess wood at the top.

If you know what you are doing, you could try using something like a STEWMAC truss rod rescue kit. It will allow you to remove some of the wood around the truss rod without damaging the threads on the truss rod. Though you might not need it, you can even fix a broken truss rod, should that happen to any of your guitars in the future. The kit is expensive, but it's out there if you need it. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/S...od_Rescue_Kit.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=1232

Otherwise, maybe take it to a tech/luthier to evaluate it and fix it up properly.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
like sex, make it fit. or you're doing it wrong.

paulgibson

Reaction score
Why don't you take your guitar to your local music store and see if one of the techs will let you use one of their tools while you order one that'll work for future adjustments? Barring any wood work of course.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

Fuelish

Reaction score
Post pics, someone will tell you it's a fake ;) j/k

fzero666

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, I can see hex, screw is not damaged, please find picture below. Also I dont think it is a fake, have all papers with serial number from Gibson, card from official distributor and recipe.
My only idea is that angle of the wood is blocking the wrench pipe to go futher, with shorter pipe ot should go. Or grinding/sanding some wood, but this I would not want to do :)

Latest Threads