Truss rod selection one way or 2?

Br0ken68

Reaction score
Well I'm to the point where I need to start thinking about truss rod. My understanding is traditional truss rod route was curved or sloped, where as a 2 way can be a straight route. I know a 2 way can do both up bow and back bow. But wouldn't preloading a traditional truss rod do the same thing or no? I'm taking a poll to see which one I should use, as I don't know much about them other than it straightens the neck.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Modern dual action rods are most definately easier to install.

I prefer the WD style rods. They take a standar 1/4 inch channel, have a covered allen rod end and are nice and beefy. There's a bit of mucking about to get the adjusting end seated correctly as it is a bit wider and lower than the roc itself... but, i have a system for this!!

i do not like the stew mac "Hot Rods", I've had TWO of them snap when adjusting the rod the first time... on a neckthru guitar, this means fretboard removal.. not fun..

Stew mac sells a martin style single action rod, which is a big aluminum u channel with rod inside, beefy socket head adjuster, single acting, but still fairly simlpe to install. I use this on basses.

OK.. that being said.... I feel that a traditional rod set in a curved channel with a fillet placed on top is actually a better system for a guitar, especially on mahogany necks...

Why??... the curved channel....and the fillet... there is meat between the fretboard and the rod because if the fillet whereas on a dual rod ther is not.

HOWEVER... 80% of my builds use dual action rods simply because of ease of installation in a maple neck thru!

Two things you should consider....

Ease of install.... for the first timer, a WD style dual action rod is the easiest way to go.

With a mohogany neck, you probably won't need to use a dual actioin rod though...

Accuracy.... those vintage pauls that we all covet didn;t have dual action rods!!

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
If replication is not the goal, then check out the LMII dual action. There are a couple but in a recent similar thread bfcg and another member linked to the better one. Just go back a couple of days ago. lO'L

Br0ken68

Reaction score

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score

'59_Standard

Banned
Reaction score
NO..... Apparently WD has changed their rods... that looks like a stew-mac hot rod.... yuk!

Tthe LMI rod lefty posted is the same design though... but about 10 bucks more than WD used to sell 'em for!!

I'll have to call Neal and see if Earleen will ship me a bunch of truss rods!

There's a 'Patent' on the LMI Rod, would that have anything to do with the change?

DGNRepair

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Would a 2 way rod have a noticeable weight difference over a 1 way rod? I have used the LMI rods pictured and they are great. For most of my necks I make my own 1 way rod with a brass nut like an LP. The metal is like $2 and I get 2 rods out of it.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
Would a 2 way rod have a noticeable weight difference over a 1 way rod? I have used the LMI rods pictured and they are great. For most of my necks I make my own 1 way rod with a brass nut like an LP. The metal is like $2 and I get 2 rods out of it.

It actually does make a difference.. The stew mac hot rods are a bit lighter than the LMI rods and the Ibby (matrin) style one-way rods i use in bases are heavier.

You gotta figure that there is TWICE as much material in these two way rods that there is in a one way rod AND the adjuster end is about three times as massive as a simple brass nut...

NOW... does it make a difference in how the guitar feels, sure it does.. its not as noticeable on a full thickness LP with a maple cap, infact, its BARELY noticable.. But... on a 100% mahogany SG... yep.. it does feel more neck heavy! (especially if you use a longer scale that 24.75)

Latest Threads