Truss rod question: Is this OK?

Tugboat

Reaction score
I installed a Stew Mac hot rod truss rod in my LP build with their recommended router bit. Used silicone at both brass ends for a nice snug fit. I dabbed a bit of sealant in a couple places down the rod but some of that came off during my fretboard re-gluing issues. The ends are still nice and snug and tight.

With the truss rod completely loose with no tension, if you knock on the neck you can hear some movement. When you tighten it a smidgen the movement sound goes away and you just hear wood knock. Dumb newbie question: is this OK?

Texas Toast

Reaction score
Well, as long as the neck has the relief you need you should be fine. In fact, if it a little too much you could modify the fret board with a little of that "pre-load" in the neck and come out smelling like a rose.

I hate rattling truss rods. I think the Hot Rod truss rod would be great if they eliminated one of the rods all together and used a filler strip kinda like PRS does...kinda.

I keep searching for the perfect truss rod with the best combination of low cost, ease of installation weight and impact on the sound of the neck.

BPW666

Reaction score
Yes i would say. My grilfriend's early 90s PRS is exactly the same. With the rod loose it makes a hell of a racket (I was worried she had snapped the rod when I first got my hands on it), but as soon as there is a bit of tension on the rod not a sound.

H.E.L.Shane

Reaction score
many of us put a couple dabs of silicone in the truss rod cavity before installing the rod, for this very reason...

I would guess that 75% of factory guitars with D/A rods I've monkeyed with had a nice rattle if you take all the tension off the rod. its especially noticeable during fret work!! :D

Tugboat

Reaction score
I did put silicone in a couple places down the length of it but I didn't exactly know where to put it on the rod itself. Some of it on top of the truss rod I had to take off to sand the glue flat with a block. Didn't think about reapplying it. Next time I'll put some on the bottom of the rod, some inbetween the 2 rods, and some on top.

It sounds like I'm fine. And now I know better for my next guitar! :) Thanks for the help!

Latest Threads