Truss rod problem

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, my new Xaviere arrived. Initially I put up with the adjusments I made out of the box, but I realised quickly that I need to get it set up by a tech. Unfortunately I cant afford to get this done at the moment.

The main issue I have, as strange as it sounds, is that I can't get the damn allen key into the truss rod socket.

The first time I tried it was fine, but then the next day, I just couldn't get it in (Please excuse the unintended sexual innuendo).

The key just doesn't seem to be going in far enough, because it just sits there loose and doesn't slot in tightly like it should.

Now that I think about it, a few weeks ago when I first encountered the problem, I remeber trying to adjust it, and the key slipping and kind of jamming itself between the socket and wood of the neck (if you can picture this?). I'm thinking maybe the socket has moved slightly so something is blocking it underneath?

I really have no idea.

You probably don't understand what the hell I'm trying to say, but here are a couple of pics (They probably don't make it much clearer):

Anything untoward there?

Thanks guys.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
I think they intended for the rod to be engaged much deeper to allow your wrench to bite.

So either it has backed out all the way or it's defective.

DRF

Reaction score
Its hard to tell from the pic what your gettin at but,Do you have the right sized key?

The allen key is L shaped correct?-cut the short end shorter with a hacksaw so it still reaches into the socket pocket of the truss rod but wont hit the wood. I've had to do it before on my guitars.

MRJ5

Reaction score
It is difficult to see from your picture but the things to check would be:

1. Is the hex socket damaged? could be rounded off or a burr or object in the bottom preventing the wrench to engage. It may need replaced.

2. Do you have the right size hex wrench? Are you using a Metric size if it requires a SAE or the reverse?

3. Is your wrench tip damaged or rounded off? You may need to try to grind or file the end square to make it bite or replace it.

bfcg

Reaction score
You might need a ball end wrench to achieve the angle that you need without marring the headstock face.
From that pic, it seems that you can not go straight in.
It also looks like there is saw dust packed in the socket. use a straightened out paper clip to clear out debris from socket.
That style nut could be backed out and replaced if you have the clearence to unscrew it without it butting against the access pocket.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
You might need a ball end wrench to achieve the angle that you need without marring the headstock face.
From that pic, it seems that you can not go straight in.
It also looks like there is saw dust packed in the socket. use a straightened out paper clip to clear out debris from socket.
That style nut could be backed out and replaced if you have the clearence to unscrew it without it butting against the access pocket.
Excellent suggestions!

Ride on a Pony

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys, I took it into a tech today and he got it to grip no problem... so I was doing something wrong. :D

Reaction score
Next time you're at the guitar store, buy a string trimmer.
For someone who bitches as much as you do about other people staying on-topic, you certainly spend a hell of a lot of time with inane comments like this. Neither on-topic or helpful, merely condescending and frankly really tiresome. If you can't be helpful, let it alone for Christ sakes.

On topic, I have the same problem with my Epiphones sometimes. As someone else suggested, get a set of Allen wrenches that have a ball-end, they allow you to get good engagement at odd angles. You can get a set of ball end Allens all over the place. If I recall correctly, Stewart MacDonald has some T-handle allens with a ball end on them if you need a little leverage.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For someone who bitches as much as you do about other people staying on-topic, you certainly spend a hell of a lot of time with inane comments like this. Neither on-topic or helpful, merely condescending and frankly really tiresome. If you can't be helpful, let it alone for Christ sakes....
Awww....my feewings are hurt.

Who's bitching now?:hmm:

Latest Threads