Truss rod - nut too far down

paddybrown

Reaction score
This is the truss rod nut of my 2001 Les Paul Standard Doublecut:

I had to adjust the truss rod recently after changing strings, and the nut has gone so far down the threaded part that the truss rod wrench will no longer turn it. I had to use a socket to get the neck right. Is there an easy way to can fix this, or does it need the attention of a professional?

mdubya

Reaction score
Add a washer or two under the nut. This isn't a good sign, but it isn't always as bad as it looks. DO NOT tighten the truss rod any further without adding washers, though! :eek2:

I have one guitar that came from the factory without any adjustment left. A few washers and it is good to go. No more movement from the neck.

IF the rod requires continued tightening after you add the washers, I would contact Gibson for warranty.

Roxy13

Reaction score
He meant the Gibson style barbed half moon washers. Remove the barbs with a cutting wheel on a Dremel. It looks like you could fit 2 on the truss rod.

You might want to help the truss rod too by forcing the neck straight or into slight back bow before putting the nut back on. Freddy G (Freddy's frets on YT) has a video on it.

paddybrown

Reaction score
He meant the Gibson style barbed half moon washers. Remove the barbs with a cutting wheel on a Dremel. It looks like you could fit 2 on the truss rod.
Thanks for the suggestion. If I cand find somewhere in the UK that sells them, I'll give it a try.

mdubya

Reaction score
I was able to find small round washers to fit mine. But I know Stew Mac has specific truss rod washers.

paddybrown

Reaction score
I was able to find small round washers to fit mine. But I know Stew Mac has specific truss rod washers.
Yes, Stew Mac has them - but buying small items like that internationally costs a fortune in shipping. I need to find someowhere a bit closer to home.

kakerlak

Reaction score
You don't need the half moon washers, as long as there's still one present -- just need round ones narrow enough to clear the route -- it's fine if they spin freely. Alternately, get a set of hollow shaft nut drivers and you won't have any trouble as-is. I would doubt you're getting close to the end of the available threads, but if it starts to feel like it, don't tighten further -- at that point, you need washers.

Alternative to washers is metal tubing the right diameter, cut to fit. Whatever you stack on there, try to aim for having the threads run just past the end of the nut, so you're still engaging all the threads -- minimizes the risk of stripping anything out.

paddybrown

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I've put a small nut, about 2mm thick, that's just wide enough to go over the truss rod without engaging the threads, under the adjustment nut. There's still some thread above the adjustment nut, but not so much that the wrench can't grab it, and the neck is straight with just a little relief, just as it should be.

With no strings and no tension on the truss rod, the neck is slightly bowed, but not twisted. At some point I'll take it to a professional to see if I can get it straightened. Watched a couple of videos on straightening bowed necks, but that's a wee bit above my level of skill as a guitar tech. I might try it on a cheaper guitar, but I'm not going to do it for the first time on this one.

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
Thanks everybody. I've put a small nut, about 2mm thick, that's just wide enough to go over the truss rod without engaging the threads, under the adjustment nut. There's still some thread above the adjustment nut, but not so much that the wrench can't grab it, and the neck is straight with just a little relief, just as it should be.

With no strings and no tension on the truss rod, the neck is slightly bowed, but not twisted. At some point I'll take it to a professional to see if I can get it straightened. Watched a couple of videos on straightening bowed necks, but that's a wee bit above my level of skill as a guitar tech. I might try it on a cheaper guitar, but I'm not going to do it for the first time on this one.
Man, if it'll adjust out flat (or nearly so) and it's not choking out anywhere, you're golden.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Sounds like you are good to go then. My guitar that looked very much like yours had already been overtightened when it arrived here from Japan and the truss rod had been pulled forward in the neck. I had to punch it back first before adding washers. And then get creative with my fret leveling due to the hump that made to save the nibs.

Right now it's playing great with very low action so I'm just keeping my eye on it in case I have to go all the way to pulling the frets and replaning the fretboard.

geddy

Reaction score
Talk to Charlie Chandler or another good guitar repairer for what they could do.

Latest Threads