Truss rod doesn’t do anything ,is it broken ?

Elkoki

Reaction score
I just bought a Fernandes guitar , the model is FGZ-1c it was only $30 and seemed like more than fair deal to me . I brought it up home , cleaned it, and restrung it but when I adjusted the truss rod , I realized it didn’t do anything. I tried tightening it just a smidge but it did nothing , so I tried it again and still nothing , so I made an even bigger turn but still nothing. I left it alone until today and the neck never moved… is the truss rod broken ? I don’t hear see or see any damage on the neck . Any tips ?

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Let it sit overnight. Sometimes it takes time for the neck to move. And other times, yes, a truss rod can be broken. If the nut spins freely, that's bad.

I have a guitar where the nut won't spin at all. And it's welded to the rod. I suspect that the rod is actually rusted into the neck. Eventually I'm going to have to pop the fingerboard off and see if I can fix it.

Elkoki

Reaction score
Let it sit overnight. Sometimes it takes time for the neck to move. And other times, yes, a truss rod can be broken. If the nut spins freely, that's bad.

I have a guitar where the nut won't spin at all. And it's welded to the rod. I suspect that the rod is actually rusted into the neck. Eventually I'm going to have to pop the fingerboard off and see if I can fix it.
It sat over night and all through today and still the neck relief is the same . The nut doesn’t spin freely , there’s normal resistance but there is no change , I guess I’ll keep waiting , fortunately the relief is not bad where it’s at and it’s totally playable.

Knoby

Reaction score
It sat over night and all through today and still the neck relief is the same . The nut doesn’t spin freely , there’s normal resistance but there is no change , I guess I’ll keep waiting , fortunately the relief is not bad where it’s at and it’s totally playable.
What happens if you loosen it all the way?

moreles

Reaction score
Can't tell what you've actually done from what you've written. What is a "smidge"? I've purchased guitars where the rod was never tightened beyond the nut making slight contact with the washer. In one case, it took 2-3 full rotations (turns) to get the rod snug and exerting genuine force in its channel, and additional tightening to get proper relief. Obviously, you shouldn't go cranking the thing, but you should entertain the possibility that it has never been snugged up.

L3rxst

Reaction score
OK
Drop some oil in the truss rod access hole and let it penetrate overnight.
The, with the correct hex key, start to adjust it until you get a result.
Watch this video first by Sam Deeks. The proceed with confidence

Some truss rod adjustments feel tight and some just dont. They are all different.
As Sam Deeks says, you have to do something mighty stupid tp break one.
So go for it with confidence

DBDM

Reaction score
I, personally, would not be scared to try the steps above and aggressively tighten (on a $30 guitar with a question of it functioning at all). If the truss rod works you should see at least some immediate results by turning the truss rod (I am referring to be reasonable about the word "aggressive"--2 or 3 turns). If the truss rod is not functioning you cannot possibly harm anything! Obviously I know that a truss rod adjustment can take a few hours to fully correct but you should be seeing SOME change immediately. If you turn it a few times and there is no change, at all, I would be shocked to learn that somehow 24 hours of waiting made it suddently move. If it works and you find you have overtightened, just turn it back. In that case you MAY need to wait a period of time for it to readjust.

drivers1959

Reaction score
I just bought a Fernandes guitar , the model is FGZ-1c it was only $30 and seemed like more than fair deal to me . I brought it up home , cleaned it, and restrung it but when I adjusted the truss rod , I realized it didn’t do anything. I tried tightening it just a smidge but it did nothing , so I tried it again and still nothing , so I made an even bigger turn but still nothing. I left it alone until today and the neck never moved… is the truss rod broken ? I don’t hear see or see any damage on the neck . Any tips ?
it sounds like the truss rod its broken..as far as damage to the neck on the outside,..you will see that its not properly relief on the neck and its most like bowing concaved and the only way to correct the problem is with a working truss rod,..you Paid $30..a luthier will cost way more than that,,i would recommend use it as a lap steel guitar or a slide guitar..live n learn

CockneyViking

Reaction score
One thing I've found having done many setups on various LP's and in particular, budget brand copies is that the necks are very slow to react to adjustments. Furthermore, with copies that have more "modern" profiled necks you sometimes have to give them a bit of help in the direction you want the neck to go in after making the truss rod adjustment, so either tighten or loosen the TR then manually press the fretboard to get relief or place one hand on the middle of the fretboard and one up by the nut (fretboard side) and one on the back of the neck and give it a quick manipulation to get the TR and neck to "make friends".

I've found this is particularly the case with the bolt-on neck models, Epiphone models and single cut Juniors etc.

I have done a TR change on a Chibson and replaced the fretboard with a lovely figured ebony one and re-bound it. It's an involved job but if you really love the guitar it's worth the final result, that's for sure.

Seabee

Reaction score
Explains why it was only $30 sorry

Reaction score
Yep, probably broken. I got a used LP and the truss rod had been tightened to the max and had severe back-bow. Trying to loosen it, it was extremely tight. It finally gave but it snapped and then the nut was really loose and didn't adjust the rod. Disappointed, returned.

Elkoki

Reaction score
Can't tell what you've actually done from what you've written. What is a "smidge"? I've purchased guitars where the rod was never tightened beyond the nut making slight contact with the washer. In one case, it took 2-3 full rotations (turns) to get the rod snug and exerting genuine force in its channel, and additional tightening to get proper relief. Obviously, you shouldn't go cranking the thing, but you should entertain the possibility that it has never been snugged up.
Smidge like around a quarter turn , did 2 or 3 of those , then I did like half a turn with no change on the neck . I didn’t want to crank it too much but I suppose I can try adjusting a little more . I haven’t touched the truss rod since Monday .

Elkoki

Reaction score
it sounds like the truss rod its broken..as far as damage to the neck on the outside,..you will see that its not properly relief on the neck and its most like bowing concaved and the only way to correct the problem is with a working truss rod,..you Paid $30..a luthier will cost way more than that,,i would recommend use it as a lap steel guitar or a slide guitar..live n learn
The string height isn’t high , and the relief is actually not bad , I just wanted the neck a little straighter because I’m used to the shredder type setups, the relief would be fine for most people where it is . I was mostly concerned why the truss rod had no affect on the neck. At the end of the day it was just $30 and I did not go out of my way for it so it doesn’t really matter all that much.

rfrizz

Shower Canoe
Reaction score
This may help. Even if it doesn't, I have a worthwhile method to avoid cross-threading. See the last two paragraphs at the end of this comment.

I have an old Epi LP II from 2003. After putting lighter strings on it, I tried to loosen the truss rod, but after a 1/8th turn, it started turning with no resistance and no effect.

Two very experienced guitar players who do their own setups told me to tighten the rod as much as I could without breaking it, and let it sit for a day or two.

It worked!

In your case, maybe the rod has come completely disengaged from the threads. If that is the case -- and I am guessing -- maybe the rod needs to re-engage the threads.

My trick to avoid cross-threading is simple. Whenever I put a bolt or screw in, I center the bolt/screw, and hand-turn it counterclockwise until it drops juuuust a smidgen. When the bolt/screw drops, you know that the bolt's thread at the end is just short of the threads at the start of the receiving threads. Then I gently hand-turn it clockwise to make sure the threads are engaging correctly.

Gravity is enough to do this, but if it the bolt goes in sideways, I apply very gentle force. Ever since I discovered this trick, I have never cross-threaded anything.

LtDave32

President and founder of H.U.G.E.
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Two very experienced guitar players who do their own setups told me to tighten the rod as much as I could without breaking it, and let it sit for a day or two.

This is never a sound idea.

It may have worked that time. But is not how one works a truss rod, nor is it a wise approach to how they are designed to work.

Letting it sit for a few days is fine. Tightening the bejeezus out of it is not.

Slight, gentle pressure over time is the way to go.

If I didn't say it, another luthier would have.

Deed I Do

Reaction score
It sounds as though either the truss road has snapped (that is actually quite unusual, believe it or not) OR the thread under the nut has stripped. No doubt this partly explains the $30 price you paid. A reasonably skilled luthier will be better able to advise after examining the instrument.

malibu91

Reaction score
Lots of interesting advice. Best advice I can give before you wind the bejesus out of that thing is to "loosen" the nut.
Make sure it works smoothly in reverse first before you start jacking on it.

If you can unwind it then get the nut off and then lubricate the thread before putting it back on and slowly and carefully tension it back up observing the results.

Keep in mind also that as you tighten the truss the string tension will increase and pull back on the neck, so make sure you retune each time to take that tension back out.

Usually a quarter of a turn is considered a lot, so take it easy even if yours may need a couple of turns from completely loose.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

moreles

Reaction score
I should have added that on some inexpensive guitars, the rod may have been improperly installed so that it literally does nothing but sit there... and maybe rattle.

Latest Threads