Truss Rod Differences

Aj2pointo

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the difference between these two truss rods?
Truss Rod two way 16 3/4"
Truss Rod dual action 16 3/4"

One is labeled "dual action" and the other is "two way". I know everyone is a fan of the vintage style compression rods, but I want to a dual action for my first build incase the neck isn't the straightest thing in the world. I vaguely remember hearing the physical differences between the two above, but I wanted to ask if one was better than the other. By their drawings, they need nearly the exact same depth of a slot, but is there any other installation differences between the two? Thanks!

Barnaby

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious difference with one having a full plastic cover and the other a partial one, one has a surround for the nut (a kind of stainless steel sleeve) and the other doesn't. Look at the join between nut and rod to see what I mean. I think most builders would use the 'dual action' version as it requires a little less meat to be taken out of the headstock.

The 'two way' version is perhaps better on something like an acoustic (although too long in this case) where it might protrude internally from the neck block.

Aj2pointo

Reaction score
Thank you! I was initially thinking one was the two way single rod that PRS uses, but now I can see that is not true. I will go with the dual action.

Latest Threads