Truss rod basic info needed

dschwartz

Reaction score
hi all again!!
my question is pretty basic:
on my project guitar, i want to put a double action truss rod, and
1.- i want the neck to be very thin..18mm at the first fret and 20mm at the 15th fret, considering the fingerboard is about 4mm height, i have a 14mm deep neck wood which i have to route to place the truss rod..how deep are double action truss rods?
2.- for double action truss rods i dont need a tapered route, right? a straight constant depth channel would be fine?

can you recommend me a suitable truss rod for thin necks?

cheers!!!!:dude:

Jmorris

Reaction score
Hot Rod truss rod from stewmac. No filler strip needed. You only need a flat channel, no curve. Id suggest also getting the router bit as its specific for that truss rod

Jim_E

Reaction score
14mm is not enough for most bi-flex rods, you'll have issues.

emoney

Reaction score
I agree, it might be a smidge "too skinny". Go on StewMac's website and they probably share both dimensions and recommended depth of channel for the Hot-Rod. As Jmorris said, it's a straight channel, that much I know. But, I'm leaning Jim E's way on the too thin thing.

dschwartz

Reaction score
i ended up getting a gotoh double action truss rod.. it is 9,2mm high, so i still have like 5mm of wood (i´d better go around 19mm depth at the 1st fret)..i´can go thinner on the fretboard also :p

i´m thinking 3mm (0.12") thick rosewood fretboard (my jackson is around that, or even less..it has a super-thin maple neck, flat-sawn, and is stable enough for me.. i dont think it has a reinforcement bar inside..)

I bought a 10mm rosewood fretboard blank..i can´t wait to have the "pleasure" of hand sawing it to get 3 3mm fretboards..(hmmmm better two 5mm and sand down after...)

mux164

Reaction score
i ended up getting a gotoh double action truss rod.. it is 9,2mm high, so i still have like 5mm of wood (i´d better go around 19mm depth at the 1st fret)..i´can go thinner on the fretboard also :p

i´m thinking 3mm (0.12") thick rosewood fretboard (my jackson is around that, or even less..it has a super-thin maple neck, flat-sawn, and is stable enough for me.. i dont think it has a reinforcement bar inside..)

I bought a 10mm rosewood fretboard blank..i can´t wait to have the "pleasure" of hand sawing it to get 3 3mm fretboards..(hmmmm better two 5mm and sand down after...)

you'll most likely lose more then a few mm when the fretboard is cut due to the thickness of the saw

Latest Threads