Truss rod adjustment on new guitar

Leña_Costoso

Reaction score
I can get the high e down just a little under 4/64", then the b string starts buzzing..... Is that normal?

Depends on where its buzzing. Buzzing under fret 5 usually means the neck is a bit too flat, needs more relief. Buzzing up higher usually means bridge too low.

The measured relief is so important in 12th fret tolerable action height. Nut slot depth makes a difference too. Then again playing style - how heavy you pick, matters. If fretting out on bends is an issue, the neck radius matters.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You'd have to ask @Malikon how he does it exactly, and whether he prefers pre-1964 silver dimes. :p

Not hold the nickel in place like it wouldn't fall out if i tilted the guitar, but touching enough to balance it on the fret with the guitar laying flat.

It's a good trick plus it works for stuff like fenders where you have to match the strings to the radius of the fretboard. You just have to use the nickel on each string and you'll match the fretboard radius.

Reaction score
Depends on where its buzzing. Buzzing under fret 5 usually means the neck is a bit too flat, needs more relief. Buzzing up higher usually means bridge too low.

Makes sense. But neither of those things are problems with the guitar, right?

endial

Reaction score
Nope. All is good so long as it can be adjusted. That guitar is killer. Now go play it.

moreles

Reaction score
I have no idea if Gibson or its dealers are really doing any decent setup anymore. I encounter guitars all the time -- all the freaking time -- that have way too much relief, and almost always it's because the truss rod hasn't been adjusted, or even brought up tp minimal tension, since the thing was built. Most owners don't know how to do a really decent setup, and many dealers don't bother, so there are loads of poorly set up guitars out there.

Vinsanitizer

You are awesome.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rarely have I pulled a Gibson off the shelf that has a great setup.

RicOkc

Reaction score
Considering humidity /weather changes from where the instrument was made to wherever it's being shipped to adjustments of any kind is not unusual.

As to the statement made previously about Fender micro adjuster vs shims. I have a Strat that I've owned for 22+ years and it's neck angle is adjusted using the micro-tilt and it's not had any negative effect at all.

Consider the source.

Latest Threads