Truely Players Grade '63 SG Standard

fender753

Reaction score
I posted this a few days ago over at TGP but I thought you guys might find it interesting and help me to further nail down the date on this thing. I recently traded someone a guitar for a truly players grade '63 SG. The guitar has suffered at least 3 head stock cracks, and it appears the neck may have been snapped and entirely reset. It has been over sprayed, which has caused this wild cross checking pattern. The guitar has a vintage Gold Maestro and gold patent # pickups which I was told were from a '63 Custom but who knows! Its a fantastic and fun player. It has 3 original pots that date to 44/62 so sounds like it was a very late 62 early 63. I would assume it originally had a sideways trem? There is no evidence of the mounting holes anymore but its been over sprayed. It also has a no logo truss rod cover but I'm not sure if that is original or if it was originally a "Les Paul".

Anyways I thought you all might enjoy this player!

63SG1.jpg
63sg3.jpg
63SG4.jpg
63sg5.jpg
63SG7.jpg
2019-12-11 12_28_36-Window.png
family.jpg

Herbie74

Reaction score
Cool guitar. The back of the horns don’t look right for an early 60s and the bevels appear a little later as well. I bet it sounds great though! I love old SGs.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
That there is a perfect example of Concentrated Mojo ;)

fender753

Reaction score
Cool guitar. The back of the horns don’t look right for an early 60s and the bevels appear a little later as well. I bet it sounds great though! I love old SGs.
All of the pots are centralabs that date to 44th week of 62 and it has a wide nut. I do believe it may have had the body sanded the contours are dull. That might explain the horns as well. But I’m fairly confident it’s from late 62/63. Well what is left of it...

Herbie74

Reaction score
That makes sense. I forgot it was refinished.

moreles

Reaction score
The pickup covers look way newer than '63, not that it makes any difference. I'd be tempted to do a thin refin on that thing, but in its current condition it does have a certain vibe and personality. I much prefer the genuine used/abused look of this one to the bogus relic-ing that has become so common. Nice!

Latest Threads