True words of a musician ...how could he know me?

Blues_Verne

Reaction score

What kind of sacrifices did you make for your music?​

I have made many many sacrifices for music. It has cost me a lifetime trying to unlock all it's secrets. Alot of people don't realize how lonely it really is, especially during all the time spent alone honing your skill. Performing is extremely gratifying, but lonely as well, considering that you are living each day only to come to life for about 3 hours each night when you get to perform. I have no regrets about it. music is the most honest and instantly gratifying thing I have ever done. I wouldn't trade one second of it for anything. Music, to me at least, is the very essence of life and living it. Chris McEwen

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I was thinking about this recently. I started playing piano and taking lessons at 5, and practiced 2 to 4 hours a day for 5 years. I then switched to cello and had the same practice regimen. I then moved to drums for 2 years, then moved to guitar where I practiced 6 to 8 hours a day while taking lessons from a local legend for the next 10 years. I was also playing out in various projects, and eventually joined an all original fusion band that rehearsed 5 nights a week and played out 2 to 4 times a month. I then joined an all original progressive band where I had to learn 20 very complex songs that in some cases required writing the guitar parts. that band rehearsed 5 nights a week, and I was also practicing 3 to 5 hours a day on my own while working full time, barely making enough to split a tiny apartment, and twice having to move back into my parent's house. I then joined another band that had a lot of label interest, where I had to learn 20 songs in a week, then do our first gig at Toad's Place in New Haven for about 700 people, which led to an endless stream of gigs across the North East. I then recorded on the first album, but left the band over creative differences (I knew if I were stuck in a van with the singer I'd have to kill him before we made it to Pennsylvania). I also spent every penny I had on equipment and recording time.

So in time alone, I was in a bubble playing through most of my life. I've also sadly lost a lot of midrange hearing, to the point where I wear hearing aids while not playing.

So have I paid for my art? Hell yea! Do I regret it. Not for a second! :)

Last edited:

pnuggett

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money, quite a bit of money.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I could totally see this.

I actually like playing just for my own enjoyment and challenge. Many people I talk to about it done get it or see the point to that.

I’m glad it’s not my job though.

Dilver

Reaction score
I wish I had the courage to make a career out of music years ago. My life would be totally different though and chances are, I’d be a poor man. So I make music that only a handful of my friends and family will ever hear. Sometimes, I wonder why I do it, but then I realize 1) it’s probably about the most fun thing I do with my time, 2) after a while the songs just come out. Might as well have a record of it.

bluesoul

Reaction score
Any thing someone works hard at requires a lot of "alone" time. Sports, work outs, art...reading and studying etc.
Musicians in a band typically have good friendships and a lot of social life.
Alone??? I don't get that.

Blues_Verne

Reaction score
To be totally honest, damn near none here. Still, it's been enjoyable.

I don't believe in the "starving artist" / "you have to suffer" nonsense.
I absolutely agree! At 16 I made crazy money with my band touring NCO clubs in Germany between K-Town, Mhm, Lahr etc. and got spoiled. We're talking late sixties. When I come to find out what musicians get paid these days I could vomit... Not your favourite super star, of course. :-(

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
...but...but...but...music is the master.

:wow:

meatball

Reaction score
I have my reflection moments many times when i am out on the road driving to q gig out of town ,, I think to myself ,, I was just in my room a “few moments ago “ at 15 years old and sitting in my bed room on a Sears Silvertone acoustic atmopting to get that G chord down. Now look ,, here I am with two Les Pauls and a Taylor every other weekend on the road .. It can be mind boggling. Sometimes when I think about it ,, but to know I can still do it and enjoy it is the greatest joy you can do with pants on ….I love it still

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
My fiance shot in the head any future sacrifices I made for music, which was probably a good thing as I got the girl and live music was going to get harder to do.

Peter M

Reaction score
Time and money.

The same two things that you sacrifice for anything worthwhile.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
To be totally honest, damn near none here. Still, it's been enjoyable.

I don't believe in the "starving artist" / "you have to suffer" nonsense.
I don't either, but if you want to be serious it's a big commitment on every level

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew my lifestyle's financial lower limits and my musical upper limitations early after 4 years of touring (lol) gigging and starving. I'm glad I made a career that allowed me to play in bands I liked, on great gear.

Do I regret the hours? Nope. I think I balanced my life ok. No ragrets.

no-ragrets-temporary-tattoo-2663.jpg
It's "Regerts" dammit!!

BKS

Reaction score
No regrets just envy as being from a non musical family who thinks music is just a waste of time and all musicians are junkies and sleep around with everything they can get....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No I am alright. She should see the 2 marshall stacks in my living room :dude:

But music always been a big part of my life. And lately even more. I just regret listening to that non musical family part for to long... oh and she is fine in most other ways....

Latest Threads