True Historic spec question

richp

Reaction score
Guys,
I recently picked up a really cool Sparking Burgundy R7 (2019) from Guitar Center. Plays great, sounds great, all that stuff. So I get home and after doing little digging, I see GC and Musician's Friend mention 'True Historic' specs in their product description. Now, I've been out of the LP loop for a couple of years, but I thought the True Historic spec was discontinued a couple years ago. (I know they kept using the 'correct' glues and plastics, but not sure about the double \ hand sanded top etc). So, is GC\MF incorrect in their description, or is there truly a limited edition of True Historic spec R7's out there? I do believe this is a limited run, just not 100% sure I buy the 'True Historic' spec bit.

Their link:

Thoughts??

Attachments

Knoby

Reaction score
Wow nice sparkle. Never seen that colour.

richp

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what caught my eye.. THEN I played it, shew... It's probably the best LP I've ever played (and the honeymoon period is over). It just sounds so open and naturally harmonic, I love it!

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Can't help with the true historic aspect but it sure is nice!

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
my .02 just based on photos in that ad you posted, the pickup covers do look a bit more 'rounded' and softer edges around the adjustment screw holes. This was started in 2015 when they (Gibson) tried to make the pu covers a bit more authentic as the stamping process dies as they're used tend to yield more softer results. Compare a stamped pu cover from 2013 or 2014 and there is a difference.

Compare my old CC8 which is from 2013

To my CC24 which is from 2015 and made to TH spec-

slightly rounder, softer, less 'new' looking.

Looking at your pu covers for this guitar, they look TH spec to me

chrimer

Reaction score
Oh yeah that's a NICE ONE! Congrats! Enjoy it!! ROCK N ROLL!! :dude:
Sounds about right.
I believe in 2017 they were building True Historic Spec Standards but not actual TH's.
I have a 17 standard sunburst that is not a True Historic but it is TH spec. So allegedly all TH appointments; plastics, hide glue but finish might be different like you mention. Mine is VOS but cleaned up easily to a perfect gloss finish. Whereas TH's I've played seemed to have a different final finish.

guitardon

Reaction score
my .02 just based on photos in that ad you posted, the pickup covers do look a bit more 'rounded' and softer edges around the adjustment screw holes. This was started in 2015 when they (Gibson) tried to make the pu covers a bit more authentic as the stamping process dies as they're used tend to yield more softer results. Compare a stamped pu cover from 2013 or 2014 and there is a difference.

Compare my old CC8 which is from 2013

To my CC24 which is from 2015 and made to TH spec-

slightly rounder, softer, less 'new' looking.

Looking at your pu covers for this guitar, they look TH spec to me

Dang Steve do you have to torture us with photos of such beautiful guitars. After my Brazilian purchase and at my age I can’t justify another purchase. But when I see yours I get that old familiar urge:)

hey OP that guitar is pretty. I’m going to find my TH list of what they did different I’ll post it here. Although I have read that the TH specs are being used on all CS models without the double sanded tops. Stay tuned while I go find the TH specs n

guitardon

Reaction score
Ok I found the TH specs, this was for my guitar but I think most of this is accurate

Brand: Gibson Custom Nashville
Model: 2018 Gibson 59 Les Paul Murphy Burst
Color: Glossy 90’s Murphy Burst
Finish Type: Nitro Cellulose Lacquer
Top Woods: Hand Picked Flame Maple
Top Carve: Double Carved
Back Wood: Solid Mahogany
Neck Wood: Solid Mahogany
Neck Shape: 2018 59 Les Paul Medium C
Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood
Fingerboard Radius: 12”
Inlays: Celluloid Trapezoid
Frets: 22
Headstock: Hollyhead Veneer
Binding: Single Ply On Body & Neck
Pickups: Custom Buckers
Controls: 2 Volume 2 Tone With 3 Way Toggle
Hardware: Aged Nickel
Bridge: Wireless ABR-1
Tail Piece: Lightweight Aluminum
Tuners: Vintage Kluson
Plastics: True Historic
Case: Lifton 5 Latch Reissue
COA: Yes With All Hang tags, Factory Paperwork

Subterfuge

Reaction score
sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I did buy a "Historic Spec" Gibson and it came with this decal on the pickguard, a metal TH toggle switch cover and the fact that the was a TH written on all the factory Gibson paper work that the guitar shipped with .
IMG_1139 (2).JPG

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I just watched your video link .. it looks legit to me ... dam nice guitar

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,
I recently picked up a really cool Sparking Burgundy R7 (2019) from Guitar Center. Plays great, sounds great, all that stuff. So I get home and after doing little digging, I see GC and Musician's Friend mention 'True Historic' specs in their product description. Now, I've been out of the LP loop for a couple of years, but I thought the True Historic spec was discontinued a couple years ago. (I know they kept using the 'correct' glues and plastics, but not sure about the double \ hand sanded top etc). So, is GC\MF incorrect in their description, or is there truly a limited edition of True Historic spec R7's out there? I do believe this is a limited run, just not 100% sure I buy the 'True Historic' spec bit.
Pretty much most of the CS Historics from 2017+ have been using the TH "spec" which means all of the same aged plastic parts, neck profiles, and construction (hyde glue). The only things different are the double-carve and the finish. The 2015-2016 THs had a double-carve top and the hand wet-sanded finish, which were too labor-intensive (i.e. cost) for the regular Historics.

Renegade

Reaction score
I can't comment on the TH specs...but it sure is a cool Lester.

richp

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Not sure exactly what it is, but this LP is special. My CC#15 is now in the case, didn't think that'd ever happen!!!!

Latest Threads