True Historic Snafu

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The good news is that Gibson has a real opportunity to correct their QC issues, now that new management is in place. Personally, I see the changes that are already happening as a real positive. The message coming from Gibson right now is excellent - they are saying all the right things. Let’s hope that means that we’ll see action to back those words up.
What incentive do they have to fix whatever QC issues they have? The guitar business is already massively profitable. Why would they spend more money in that area?

Priority area #1 is the brand, which has been tarnished by their failed investments, and from the incorrect belief that "flawed guitars" were the reason for their troubles. Spend whatever money they need to in order to convince players that "they're back", even if they don't do anything different.

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
What incentive do they have to fix whatever QC issues they have? The guitar business is already massively profitable. Why would they spend more money in that area?

Priority area #1 is the brand, which has been tarnished by their failed investments, and from the incorrect belief that "flawed guitars" were the reason for their troubles. Spend whatever money they need to in order to convince players that "they're back", even if they don't do anything different.
There’s a huge incentive for Gibson to improve quality control. Changing the conversation amongst players from one about QC issues to one about incredible quality is a big deal. I don’t think new management is blind to that at all. There’s an interview with the new CEO from NAMM where he specifically talks about this, along with a new plan to include QC checks after each step of the build process, as opposed from how it’s done now - which is just once at the end of the entire process. That’s a huge step in the right direction.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There’s a huge incentive for Gibson to improve quality control. Changing the conversation amongst players from one about QC issues to one about incredible quality is a big deal. I don’t think new management is blind to that at all. There’s an interview with the new CEO from NAMM where he specifically talks about this, along with a new plan to include QC checks after each step of the build process, as opposed from how it’s done now - which is just once at the end of the entire process. That’s a huge step in the right direction.
Yeah - I saw the same interview. And he kinda said that QC at Gibson is high, but "perception is reality". Meaning, if the market thinks QC is a problem, as part of the branding efforts they are putting in, they are going let people know if they are working on it (even if they don't).

Think about it...just because he said that, market consensus about QC probably went up. The perception of the brand goes up, etc. etc. And it cost nothing more than him saying it.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
So, I’ve got a nice True Historic 59 in the shop right now and noticed something odd with the “Les Paul Model” screenprint on the headstock. Looks like they didn’t like the original placement, so they just sprayed black over it and tried again...

View attachment 346791 View attachment 346792

:facepalm:
I could see an owern being upset about it however, especially when you pay that kind of ca$h.
I like it it adds character and hey they fixed it!

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the thing though....every conversation I have had with a player has been nothing but positive in regard to QC. I've owned over 100 of these guitars....well over 100, I had ONE QC issue, and they made it right. Most people that bitch, piss and moan about Gibson QC are owners/supporters of other brands, and fill the internet with pile on bullshit. Is every one of the thousands of guitars that leave the Custom Shop perfect? No. That being said, there is no product that can claim 100% flawlessness. ESPECIALLY one where any portion involves humans making it.