True Historic Snafu

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah originally I thought it was a Nielsen... Describe the profile on the danger burst if you could?
The neck is bigger than most normal R9s. Fuller, but without the wide shoulders of the R9s from the early 2000s. Full, but without being fat.

tubes10s

Reaction score

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The original 50's ones had snafu's like that....and worse. Be glad it wasn't spit out by some Chinese machine or factory....like damn near everything else in our society.

Actually, it’s very clear that it IS lacquered over. It’s not a shadow, it’s an actual lump.
Probably not. When they removed the other silkscreen off with a solvent it most likely stripped some of the black off the headstock face, leaving the ridge around where the logo use to be.

moreles

Reaction score
How does this chintzy shortcut "fix" for a misprint qualify as "True Historic"? It's hardly characteristic of older LPs.

jtamagna

Reaction score
So, I’ve got a nice True Historic 59 in the shop right now and noticed something odd with the “Les Paul Model” screenprint on the headstock. Looks like they didn’t like the original placement, so they just sprayed black over it and tried again...

View attachment 346791 View attachment 346792

:facepalm:
I recently got an opportunity to play two real 59’s. It was amazing, It was like meeting Abe Lincoln or Babe Ruth. Unreal. What I noticed was that, and don’t beat me up here, it wasn’t

jtamagna

Reaction score
I had the priveledge of playing two real ‘59’s, not historic reissue’s, about two weeks ago and it was surreal...at first. After a few minutes, I a/b tested them against my 2018 and the tone and sound were almost identical. I’ve been chasing after a ‘59 my whole life. Unreal.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
I have to wonder how many of you that "dismiss" highly amateur Gibson factory FU as "no big deal" on an investment equivalent to a few months or more salary, if you ordered a new $116k Porsche Carrera S lets say, and the factory just sprayed over a very bad "bondo" job on a fender dent some ingrate sloppy mechanic did on the assembly line. Ya think you'd be saying the same thing when it was delivered to you? If you did, you don't deserve a fine instrument, you should only buy some junk made in China with a Gibson (Epiphone) decal on it. Those that except this Gibson ineptitude is the reason Gibson is the POS company it's become.

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Probably not. When they removed the other silkscreen off with a solvent it most likely stripped some of the black off the headstock face, leaving the ridge around where the logo use to be.
For the record, when I stripped the headstock, the original silkscreen had been painted over.

It’s really a non-issue as far as I’m concerned, considering that this was clearly a Danger Burst CC that had been repurposed.

dmantsio

Reaction score
A little late to the party but having refinished the front of my 2010 59 ri I had the same problem applying the silkscreen . When I didn’t get it right a “lump” was left , barely visible but there. So I had to sand it and maybe apply a couple of new clear coats to make it go away and try again . It’s too difficult to get it right the first time unfortunately

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Those that except this Gibson ineptitude is the reason Gibson is the POS company it's become.
Or is it because they borrowed/invested too much money in ancillary businesses, having nothing to do with guitars, which didn't thrive...and therefore struggled to pay their bills?

Casella

Reaction score
Seeing as the guitar is mine, I'll be honest... The Les Paul thing isn't great, but really I didn't even notice it until atomic hit it with some UV light. I definitely didn't loose any sleep over the LP model thing.

AJK1

Reaction score
I have to wonder how many of you that "dismiss" highly amateur Gibson factory FU as "no big deal" on an investment equivalent to a few months or more salary, if you ordered a new $116k Porsche Carrera S lets say, and the factory just sprayed over a very bad "bondo" job on a fender dent some ingrate sloppy mechanic did on the assembly line. Ya think you'd be saying the same thing when it was delivered to you? If you did, you don't deserve a fine instrument, you should only buy some junk made in China with a Gibson (Epiphone) decal on it. Those that except this Gibson ineptitude is the reason Gibson is the POS company it's become.
And why i buy Tokai....

dro

Reaction score
I would be you can't see it at all with stage lights hitting you in the face

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
The good news is that Gibson has a real opportunity to correct their QC issues, now that new management is in place. Personally, I see the changes that are already happening as a real positive. The message coming from Gibson right now is excellent - they are saying all the right things. Let’s hope that means that we’ll see action to back those words up.