True Historic Snafu

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I essentially got a CC 29 right at half MAP [avatar]. It is to date the best deal I've gotten on a new Gibson.

I've been lucky to have owned numerous RIs from 1990s and up. Every few years they have gotten noticeably better. However, 2013 was a really big step forward and not the incremental improvements of the past. As good as 2013/2014 models were, the CC runs of '14 and '15 are off the hook. In fact my repurposed CC29 edges out my TH BB7 for feel and attention to detail. I don't think enough people really understood or appreciated the extra hands on attention the CC lines received.

If you can get a repurposed Knopfler for almost 1/2 of MAP then do it! I can tell you that I don't miss Tamio Akudas pic in my book. You gotta ask yourself if that book is worth 3-4K to you?

I know what my 'faded orange burst' was supposed to be. It matters not one iota to me that I don't have the 'proper' book. I ain't playing that book! The only thing the certs or books have ever done is take up space in my case pockets.

I'd rather have that extra 3k I saved taking up space in my pocket. :cool2:
There’s no question that these guitars are killer deals - they are a lot more guitar than advertised. And I totally agree that the book is next to worthless, unless you’re planning on hanging it on a wall next to an unplayed guitar. Which is fine, I suppose, but like you, I’m more interested in playing the guitar than admiring the certification.

DanD

Reaction score
After perusing CME I think these are not repurposed but 'aged to knopfler spec'. You can get your choice of dirty lemon, tea burst fade, some cherry fade, etc...

I've seen Gibson use similar wear patterns before but this is the first time I've seen them use a specific wear pattern [knopfler] as something that can be ordered. :hmm:

Dave Sutton

Reaction score
I imagine anyone who paid top dollar for an official Knopfler LP would have plenty to care about - they essentially paid almost double the price for a certificate.

And, I imagine Mark Knopfler would have a legitimate beef with Gibson, as well.
Well there is a reason it was moved from a CC to a lesser value guitar. Maybe this just didn’t make the cut as an artist copy but still a killer guitar. Once you get over that true historic you basically paying extra for a serial number and certificate anyway. I don’t think the guys with that coin care. If they cared who it could buy an R9, pop the bridge cover, drag it on the concrete and call it a Page. $5k vs $12k or whatever. They pay extra for the credentials.

Casella

Reaction score
So we know that 45 and the Tamio CC have been repurposed, along with the Felder, but are there any others?

jim w

Reaction score
Interesting.

I have an older Gibson (different model) marked as a second for the same type of thing:

DarthPaul

Reaction score
So we know that 45 and the Tamio CC have been repurposed, along with the Felder, but are there any others?
CC36 aka Goldfinger, turned into "Aged True Historic Goldtop" available in '17 and '18.

DarthPaul

Reaction score
The Wildwood run of repurposed CC29s (Mine isn't featured, darnit)

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What size frets on that guitar in question? CC45 has frets larger than regular R9s.
The color on the back of CC45 is very faded red...almost brown. Including the back of the headstock.

If it's NOT faded brown, it would seem weird to refinish the back of the headstock but just paint over the front of the headstock.

If it's regular sized frets, it would seem REAL weird to either a) rip off the fretboard, or b) re-fret the guitar.

I should add...as the person who selected all the CC45 types, that one wouldn't have been chosen by me.

DarthPaul

Reaction score
I should add...as the person who selected all the CC45 types, that one wouldn't have been chosen by me.
What does that mean exactly? Did you select the guitars for that run?
(I'm not being snarky, just curious.)

Casella

Reaction score
What size frets on that guitar in question? CC45 has frets larger than regular R9s.
The color on the back of CC45 is very faded red...almost brown. Including the back of the headstock.

If it's NOT faded brown, it would seem weird to refinish the back of the headstock but just paint over the front of the headstock.

If it's regular sized frets, it would seem REAL weird to either a) rip off the fretboard, or b) re-fret the guitar.

The back of the guitar is that brownish faded red. As far as the frets, atomic will have to answer that cause I don't recall...

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
The back of the guitar is that brownish faded red. As far as the frets, atomic will have to answer that cause I don't recall...
It definitely has large frets. Also worth noting the scratched off CC serial number in the control cavity...

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What does that mean exactly? Did you select the guitars for that run?
(I'm not being snarky, just curious.)
I went to the Custom Shop in Nashville and spent the day going through the wood blanks to pick out all the tops that were going to be used for this run. About 1 out of 10 were chosen...so it took a long time.
The original guitar is mine.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok- now I see the back color in that cavity photo. I don't see a scratched out area, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to look.
If the frets are definitely "oversized" relative to a regular R9, then that would check all the boxes for me.

Wonder where this one came from, since when I was checking through my dealer on the availability of more CC45s for dealers to purchase, they were all sold to dealers relatively quickly. Gibson much have excess guitars hanging around that don't even make it into the 'machine'.

Casella

Reaction score
Ok- now I see the back color in that cavity photo. I don't see a scratched out area, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to look.
If the frets are definitely "oversized" relative to a regular R9, then that would check all the boxes for me.

Wonder where this one came from, since when I was checking through my dealer on the availability of more CC45s for dealers to purchase, they were all sold to dealers relatively quickly. Gibson much have excess guitars hanging around that don't even make it into the 'machine'.
In the base of the control cavity you can see the number has been scratched away. It was purchased from CME as a 2017 Custom Shop Les Paul standard.

Casella

Reaction score
I had original suspicions of it being a Rick Nielsen, but it appears now that is was a 45 that didn't quite make it all the way there.. no way to be fully certain of course

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had original suspicions of it being a Rick Nielsen, but it appears now that is was a 45 that didn't quite make it all the way there.. no way to be fully certain of course
That's another option too, as the Nielsen (I think) had a faded back. The neck profile would give it away.

Casella

Reaction score
That's another option too, as the Nielsen (I think) had a faded back. The neck profile would give it away.
Yeah originally I thought it was a Nielsen... Describe the profile on the danger burst if you could?