True Historic Snafu

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a PITA for you. This is not personal, so not really about my happiness. It's just about facts. This is particularly important since we now know that it's not really a True Historic (as the thread title states) that was "retouched" or "fixed". Maybe it started as a TH, but was clearly repurposed. That could more easily explain why they retouched the headstock in some way.
Actually, the fact that it was a True Historic Collector’s Choice #45 explains EXACTLY why the screenprint turned out the way it did. I never posted this as a “wow, Gibson sucks” thread. I just thought it was interesting. Your mileage might vary...

But, now that you mention it, it is sloppy. And, considering that even after the guitar was repurposed into a non-TH, it was still listed as a $7k guitar. So, even though my customer wasn’t terribly concerned with it and decided to customize this guitar to his liking, I think any potential buyer would have been justified in being a little miffed about it.

DarthPaul

Reaction score
Actually, the fact that it was a True Historic Collector’s Choice #45 explains EXACTLY why the screenprint turned out the way it did.
I'm not sure if they stamped the center of the control cavity on the CC45 model, but if they did you can check to see if there is a mark where it was removed.
My '17 R8/CC29v has it, as well as faint remnants of the headstock stamps.

MikeyV

Reaction score
OK, I see that the CC45 was a TH spec CC. Not all were, IIRC.

Still, the Goldfinger was (on purpose, for cost reasons) made to standard Historic specs.
The re-purposed ones that had the black plastic were marketed as TH models.

Nice guitar! I wouldn't mind the "Les Paul" Shadow. Great top!

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
My R8/CC 29 shows the same marks on the headstock and in the cavity. Gibson also drew in bottom of the '9' in the cavity to turn it into an '8' ...
Man - that’s pure laziness right there.

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I see that the CC45 was a TH spec CC. Not all were, IIRC.

Still, the Goldfinger was (on purpose, for cost reasons) made to standard Historic specs.
The re-purposed ones that had the black plastic were marketed as TH models.

Nice guitar! I wouldn't mind the "Les Paul" Shadow. Great top!
Clearly the answer to all of these inconsistencies is to reissue “The Paul.”

DanD

Reaction score
Man - that’s pure laziness right there.
I actually think they were rushing these out as fast as they could. Henry was experiencing serious financial discomfort at the time and I'm guessing they really wanted to move the overstocked CS guitars. I've heard Gibson had anywhere from 500 to 1000 guitars at Custom that had no dealer orders associated with them. I know the 2 " '17s" I had were in the 8 7562 to 8 7571 range. The lowest serial I saw of Wildwoods 'faded orange bursts' (CC 29s) started at serial 8 7540. My guess is 8 7XXX up to at least 8 7571 are repurposed.

Last edited:

Les Paul John

Reaction score
That’s odd! Does look like it was painted over black and redone. Factory second?

Are there Historic seconds?

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
All that additional labor and effort when they could have just sold those CCs for less dough.

That’s like..... stoopid :facepalm:

Last edited: