True Historic Snafu

BDW60

Reaction score
Huh....looks funky alright. Then again, I don’t care..... if she plays good and has a great voice,that’s all I need
Well if that's all you need, there's a boat load of great playing and great sounding LP Studios out there for $1,000 ... :)

Seems to me at the price point of a True Historic custom shop guitar, no goofy do overs should be involved.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
That's nothing. I've seen more than a few vintage examples, where you could clearly see where the placement was "corrected". Funnily enough, the "corrected" placements were still off.

ARandall

Reaction score
I've put a silkscreen on my clones and had it not fully screen the whole log properly, or go on a bit strong.
After cleaning off the ink with solvent and trying again this is exactly what you see.......to the last minute detail.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
If Gibson were made aware of this , I'm betting they would do something about it ... It might take a little time , but my past Exp. with Gibson has been good when it comes to "fixing " things like that .
Now, even more so with the new owners ,who I'm guessing would like to change peoples conception of Gibson overall .
Maybe I'm just wishful thinking . But Once (2009) I got Gibson to agree to repaint a VOS RI that had been overly buffed and left having buffing compound all over it ...
Document everything with pic and send them to Gibson asking for a solution to make the owner "whole" .

bulletproof

aka tarddoggy
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well if that's all you need, there's a boat load of great playing and great sounding LP Studios out there for $1,000 ... :)

Seems to me at the price point of a True Historic custom shop guitar, no goofy do overs should be involved.
Gots me few Studios! Great guitars! (don’t take me so seriously,brother,causes wrinkles)

:rofl:

MikeyV

Reaction score
I'll tell you what it is...

Don't the THs have different silk screen placement?

I'd bet it's a standard CS Les Paul that was "re-done" into a TH. We all know they've been caught doing this with that GoldFinger CC. They couldn't sell them, so they put black TH Plastics on them, gave them a new COA and wham! Now a TH.

TOTAL!!! BS!!

What year is it?

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I'll tell you what it is...

Don't the THs have different silk screen placement?

I'd bet it's a standard CS Les Paul that was "re-done" into a TH. We all know they've been caught doing this with that GoldFinger CC. They couldn't sell them, so they put black TH Plastics on them, gave them a new COA and wham! Now a TH.

TOTAL!!! BS!!

What year is it?
It’s a 2017 - and it’s funny that you mention that, because this is one of the unsold True Historics that Gibson demoted and sold to CME as a “Light Flame Standard.” But, it still has all the TH plastics and hardware and it’s obviously built to the TH “standard.”

DrSte31n

Reaction score
It’s a 2017 - and it’s funny that you mention that, because this is one of the unsold True Historics that Gibson demoted and sold to CME as a “Light Flame Standard.” But, it still has all the TH plastics and hardware and it’s obviously built to the TH “standard.”
I believe all Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul guitars from 2017 had TH plastics and hardware. Doesn't say TH on the COA, and no TH medallion? Not a TH then.

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I believe all Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul guitars from 2017 had TH plastics and hardware. Doesn't say TH on the COA, and no TH medallion? Not a TH then.
It’s well documented that Gibson sold a ton of rebranded TH and CC Les Pauls to various outlets, primarily CME, in ‘16 and ‘17. This particular guitar was most likely a CC #45 - Danger Burst.

DanD

Reaction score
I just sold a '17 aged R8 that was TH spec. That one came thru MF/Private Reserve.

Gibson repurposed many guitars at the beginning of '17. The CS didn't take any new orders at the beginning of '17 until they sold all their repurposed unsold stock. Gibson also instituted the 'order first' edict to dealers at this time. Many CCs were done this way. But it's really nothing new for Custom as they repurposed Don Felder '59s in 2011. I remember people thinking that new R9s had been tampered with because of the chrome tailpiece...

DrSte31n

Reaction score
It’s well documented that Gibson sold a ton of rebranded TH and CC Les Pauls to various outlets, primarily CME, in ‘16 and ‘17. This particular guitar was most likely a CC #45 - Danger Burst.
I understand that. I have also read some of threats on this topic and what not. My point is simple: if the COA doesn't say it, you can't really advertise the guitar as True Historic.

AtomicModern

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that. I have also read some of threats on this topic and what not. My point is simple: if the COA doesn't say it, you can't really advertise the guitar as True Historic.
Since the guitar belongs to my customer and is getting a complete makeover, I don’t think there’s any attempt to advertise it as that.

But, if it makes you happy, we’ll pretend like it’s a Studio.

Last edited:

DrSte31n

Reaction score
Since the guitar belongs to my customer and is getting a complete makeover, I don’t think there’s any attempt to advertise it as that.

But, if it makes you happy, we’ll pretend like it’s a Studio.
I'm sorry. I don't mean to be a PITA for you. This is not personal, so not really about my happiness. It's just about facts. This is particularly important since we now know that it's not really a True Historic (as the thread title states) that was "retouched" or "fixed". Maybe it started as a TH, but was clearly repurposed. That could more easily explain why they retouched the headstock in some way.