Tru Oil questions

beerbelly

Reaction score
I've been a nitro guy for years, but would like to try a Tru Oiled maple neck on my next build. I recall trying it years ago, ending up with a sticky mess. Obviously I did something wrong.
I have questions about using fillers, sanding sealers, sanding and/or 0000 steel wool, etc.
Could you guys educate me on the proper steps for a nice, smooth finish?

moreles

Reaction score
Depends on what wood you are using for the neck, and what kind of surface buildup, if any, you want.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done fretboards and am doing a 000 I built in Tru (when I get around to finishing it)...

With what I've done, I found extremely thin coats was da cheeze....

I'd take a coffee filter, cut it into quarters with scissors, fold one until I had a small pad.
Take cap off Tru bottle (NOT THE FOIL SEAL) and with a toothpick, poke a hole in center of foil.
I put the cap back on, shake it up well, take cap off and with pad, wipe up just what's on foil.
Rub that into fret spaces (that have been cleaned/scraped). If pad is really wet, I'll dab across several fret spaces to distribute LESS per space so no glob.... Just a little bit of sheen on space after rubbing it with pad...

Thin thin thin thin thin...

I did the fretboard on my Godin just for the hell of it to see how it looked.... I put a LOT of super thin coats... do a thin coat and by the time I hit the other end of the fretboard, I could do another super thin coat. Let it cure for a bit... I had a stand out in the alley by my shop and would sit it out there in sun for 15-25 minutes to help the TO cure...then do it again....
Rose board literally glowed in good light after.... Beautiful and smooth.... A bud walked in, saw my Godin, played it, and offered me cash right then.... "Nicest fretboard I've ever seen." ;). I did that fretboard just for the hell of it and it turned out gorgeous....

Some of these other guys have far more experience than I so they may be able to add some far better info....

beerbelly

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have said it's a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, and I'm not planning to do the fretboard, just the maple.

Reactions: ehb

NotScott

Reaction score
I did this headstock in Tru Oil for a Tele I built. Obviously, rosewood is very porous and I am not the most patient guy in the world but I am quite happy with the results. I just cut the Tru Oil with 50% water and it goes on very smooth. Let it dry and keep applying coats to get where you want.

aVsMh5Q.jpg

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have said it's a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, and I'm not planning to do the fretboard, just the maple.

Same rule of 'thin thin thin' would probably still apply for best results.... REALLY thin coats...and a lot of em depending on what you want the final product to look like....

truckermde

Reaction score
I've done a few with great results. The necks I used were pre-sealed, and ready to finish. I don't think I even did much sanding prep, if any, so as not to remove the sealer. It has been at least 10yrs since I did one, so forgive me if my memory has holes in it. :)

I use cheesecloth to wipe on THIN coats. Super thin. Many, many times.

After several, I start using a scotch pad between coats. Gently.

There are some great videos on youtube. Search TruOil gun stock finishing.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
I've been a nitro guy for years, but would like to try a Tru Oiled maple neck on my next build. I recall trying it years ago, ending up with a sticky mess. Obviously I did something wrong.
I have questions about using fillers, sanding sealers, sanding and/or 0000 steel wool, etc.
Could you guys educate me on the proper steps for a nice, smooth finish?
I used TruOil on the back of the maple neck of my Custom, after removing the sticky nitro. Three thin coats - all it took.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a few with great results. The necks I used were pre-sealed, and ready to finish. I don't think I even did much sanding prep, if any, so as not to remove the sealer. It has been at least 10yrs since I did one, so forgive me if my memory has holes in it. :)

I use cheesecloth to wipe on THIN coats. Super thin. Many, many times.

After several, I start using a scotch pad between coats. Gently.

There are some great videos on youtube. Search TruOil gun stock finishing.

I liked using the coffee filters because they won't 'shed' fibers.... I had bought a packet of cheesecloth and then read something a custom builder wrote about coffee filters... Made sense to me...

YehonatanV

Reaction score
@ehb, Sounds awesome! Do you have pics of the Godin one or did you go on to sell it then and there?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the board.... I did some more thin coats after this point.... Turned out gorgeous.... Bud saw it after I finished and had to have it.... He told me a while back he is still loving how it plays and sounds.... Phone pic but should show ok...

Godin-SDXT-4.jpg

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Goldie w/ minis with a granny wood board..... Planning on doing the board on it when I get it back from a studio... I think it will look and feel very nice.... T.O.'d, the board will be easy to keep clean....

truckermde

Reaction score
I liked using the coffee filters because they won't 'shed' fibers.... I had bought a packet of cheesecloth and then read something a custom builder wrote about coffee filters... Made sense to me...
I can see how that would be an improvement. I'll use them next time. Thanks for the tip!

:cheers2:

Aaronoutside

Reaction score
I just finished my first Tru-Oil guitar and I think it looks great. I particularly liked how the neck came out as I wanted it a little mat and not too shiny. I cut the oil with 50/50 mineral spirits and used an old cotton shirt to put it on. Oddly, I tried one coat with a synthetic shirt and it turned out like shit. Don’t know if it was bad luck, but I will use coffee filters or cotton from now on.

I started with three coats a day and then sanded the following morning, but found that was too much and switched to two a day. I tried 0000 steel wool at first, but it left shit all over and was a real pain in the ass. Switched to sand paper and it got all gunked up, so finally landed on a wet sand with mineral spirits. Would let the guitar dry fully overnight and then splash a little mineral spirits on and sand with 1000 and then 2000 on the final coats, and it turned out great. For the body, I left the last coat unsanded, but I am debating on using some 0000 to take off the shine and make it a little more durable, but for the neck, I just wet sanded with 2000 on the last coat and it worked like a charm. Ended up with 10 layers on the neck and closer to 20 on the body.
8C1E3FAE-1FC1-4BE7-9F0E-C9896768B289.jpeg
D0D60E4D-19D6-42D5-A3DD-4D19BB6A0C22.jpeg
AE2D8E44-AF14-4770-A23D-B9421994EDC3.jpeg

Latest Threads