troubleshooting pedalboards..

jguitarnash

Reaction score
There is a buzzing and humming in my pedalboard and the culprit is my Boss DD3! I think it uses more power than most of my other pedals so it causes a buzzing/humming sound. Quite odd. I also wonder if some pedal connecting cables are much better than others. Any thoughts/ recommendations on this or troubleshooting tips??!!

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Most delays (and fuzzes) need isolated power supplies.

kernelofwisdom

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Try it on battery to see if it is indeed the power.

I had a DD3 on a nonisolated power supply and it was fine, but Pwozzie makes a good point that something could be coming through the chain.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ground loops can be a problem too. Hard to explain, but if a pedal is picking up grounds from lots of places (patch leads, other pedals, dc supply, pedalboard chassis), this can end up inducing noise.

Liam

Paragon

Reaction score
Ground loops are evil for audio. My bro had his Home Theater set up in the basement of our old house we grew up in. Go to plug it in after setting it up and there was some nasty crap through the speakers. We had to hook it up with a 3-prong to 2-prong adaptor until the isobar came in.

Ground loops induce extra current becuase of the multiple grounding points which create audible noise in electronics.

Anyhoo.. nash, what is your chain of pedals?

Latest Threads