Trivia Question

northernbreed

Reaction score
So I was looking at the ball ends on the strings that came stock on a new USA ES-335, and I see that they are alternating shiny gold (E/D/B) and silver (A/G/e). Who makes strings like this? Maybe Gibson (I've never bought a set of Gibson strings)?

Thanks for helping me with this debilitating mystery.

jaqueh

Reaction score
So I was looking at the ball ends on the strings that came stock on a new USA ES-335, and I see that they are alternating shiny gold (E/D/B) and silver (A/G/e). Who makes strings like this? Maybe Gibson (I've never bought a set of Gibson strings)?

Thanks for helping me with this debilitating mystery.
d'addario

1allspub

Reaction score
D’addario still manufacturers them
???

Not sure what you’re saying, Yes, D’Addario manufactures D’Addario NYXL strings... obviously. My point was, that the ball ends on their NYXLs are multi-colored... not the gold/silver (actually it’s brass/silver) that the OP described.

jaqueh

Reaction score
???

Not sure what you’re saying, Yes, D’Addario manufactures D’Addario NYXL strings... obviously. My point was, that the ball ends on their NYXLs are multi-colored... not the gold/silver (actually it’s brass/silver) that the OP described.
They make strings for Gibson, fender, and elixir. They can obviously make ball ends to different clients specs. It’s not hard to change a ball end.

I’m not sure what you’re implying but Gibson doesn’t have their own string manufacturing line.

Last edited:

1allspub

Reaction score
They make strings for Gibson, fender, and elixir. They can obviously make ball ends to different clients specs. It’s not hard to change a ball end.

I’m not sure what you’re implying but Gibson doesn’t have their own string manufacturing line.
I never said they did have their (Gibson) own string mfg'ing. In fact, D'Addario does make Gibson's strings. But the OP's questions was what strings have the ball ends he's seeing. I pointed out that Gibson Vintage Reissues do. He didn't ask who makes who's strings.

And when you added that D'Addario has them as well, I pointed out that not all D'Addarios have those ball ends (ie, their NYXLs are multi-colored). So if the OP is trying to figure out what strings he's seeing, they could be Gibson VR, or certain (but not all) D'Addarios. Or something entirely else. Honestly, I'm not sure why this is so hard for you to track on. :hmm:

jaqueh

Reaction score
I never said they did have their (Gibson) own string mfg'ing. In fact, D'Addario does make Gibson's strings. But the OP's questions was what strings have the ball ends he's seeing. I pointed out that Gibson Vintage Reissues do. He didn't ask who makes who's strings.

And when you added that D'Addario has them as well, I pointed out that not all D'Addarios have those ball ends (ie, their NYXLs are multi-colored). Honestly, I'm not sure why this is so hard for you to track on. :hmm:
Ah got it! Yeah those specific strings are Gibson, but no need to buy them when the daddarios 10's are exactly the same

1allspub

Reaction score
Ah got it! Yeah those specific strings are Gibson, but no need to buy them when the daddarios 10's are exactly the same
Agreed. :cheers: In fact, I use both interchangeably depending on what's available (the Gibson VRs tend to be harder to find these days).

danzego

Reaction score
The Gibson USA production models come stock with Gibson Brite Wires. Vintage Reissues, on the other hand, are on the Custom Shop models from the factory. Both of these sets have the alternating silver and brass ball ends.

Yes, they’re made by D’addario for Gibson, but they may or may not be stock D’addario strings. No one can say that for sure other than someone from D’addario and/or Gibson. Personally, I’m fairly certain they’re not, though. I like both of those Gibson sets and have used each often, but I can’t stand anything from D’addario other than NYXLs (which are great).

Latest Threads