Tried to buy a Custom LP the other day... Good ol' GC.

pondcaster

Reaction score
So I'm one of those guys who occasionally checks GC used online listings to see if I can ever find a decent price on a LPC and last Thursday one popped up that would be of interest to me. A Custom Classic Light! For $1469? About 2k Les than it should be? Wow, I've never seen one for sale so I immediately added to my cart and was getting ready to purchase when I noticed it didn't add the LPCC but an Epiphone Jerry Cantrell instead? Wtf? Within minutes, Kept trying but then it would only error out saying could not add to cart?

So to make it easier, I picked up the phone and called good ol' GC of Scranton around 930a. Fellow answered and I told him about the cart adding the wrong model issue and he said "Oh yeah, we've had a couple of calls regarding that guitar. We're just opening up so I'll call you in a little while to discuss." No worries, I figured one of the earlier callers would beat me to it. Went about my day.

Then around 11a, got a call from Scranton and another fellow said he'd gotten this order dropped in his lap and he knew nothing about the listing but that the guitar was still available. Hooray! I asked him to hold it for me and he said he'd send pics since when I asked about the finish and he didn't know.

So I'm still wondering if I'm gonna actually get this near-dream guitar for a steal? Pics come in and yeah,... Not even close to what they had it listed as. Ends up being a Classic Lite instead of the Custom Classic Light they listed.

Custom Classic Light

I emailed back thanking him for the pics but that the guitar and the listing were two vastly different guitars. Sent him a link to what both actually are (see above) and he thanked me for the info. No big deal but no thanks.

Checked this morning and of course, they've relisted as... You guessed it, a Custom Classic Light.

Classic Lite

Now I'm usually a fan of GC having worked with them for the last thirty years. Always had positive experiences and a big fan of my sorta local one in Sparkleburg SC.

But c'mon GC! It's these kinds of things that give y'all a bad name. Everyone makes mistakes and not knowing the various models released over the years isn't a crime. But once you know the facts, how can you ignore them and go ahead and post a fraudulent listing? Not a terrible priced for a classic Lite but not only is it false advertising but it's 99% gonna bring an return, no?

Anyhoo, just my venting. Did any other MLPr see/show interest in this one?

* Edit: Should have mentioned there were no pics on the listing since it was so recent

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So I'm one of those guys who occasionally check GC used online listings to see if I can ever find a decent price on a LPC and last Thursday one popped up that would be of interest to me. A Custom Classic Light! For $1469? About 2k Les than it should be? Wow, I've never seen one for sale so I immediately added to my cart and was getting ready to purchase when I noticed it didn't add the LPCC but an Epiphone Jerry Cantrell instead? Wtf? Within minutes, Kept trying but then it would only error out saying could not add to cart?

So to make it easier, I picked up the phone and called good ol' GC of Scranton around 930a. Fellow answered and I told him about the cart adding the wrong model issue and he said "Oh yeah, we've had a couple of calls regarding that guitar. We're just opening up so I'll call you in a little while to discuss." No worries, I figured one of the earlier callers would beat me to it. Went about my day.

Then around 11a, got a call from Scranton and another fellow said he'd gotten this order dropped in his lap and he knew nothing about the listing but that the guitar was still available. Hooray! I asked him to hold it for me and he said he'd send pics since when I asked about the finish and he didn't know.

So I'm still wondering if I'm gonna actually get this near-dream guitar for a steal? Pics come in and yeah,... Not even close to what they had it listed as. Ends up being a Classic Lite instead of the Custom Classic Light they listed.

Custom Classic Light

I emailed back thanking him for the pics but that the guitar and the listing were two vastly different guitars. Sent him a link to what both actually are (see above) and he thanked me for the info. No big deal but no thanks.

Checked this morning and of course, they've relisted as... You guessed it, a Custom Classic Light.

Classic Lite

But once you know the facts, how can you ignore them and go ahead and post a fraudulent listing?
To play just a little bit of devil's advocate, I'm sure GC gets calls and emails all the time from random dudes who find "mistakes" on their website that aren't really mistakes.

pondcaster

Reaction score
To play just a little bit of devil's advocate, I'm sure GC gets calls and emails all the time from random dudes who find "mistakes" on their website that aren't really mistakes.
Yeah, I guess. An uninformed consumer is one thing. But they are Guitar center, it's in their name. It's hard for me to see how that get this stuff incorrect.

Tbh, it took all of 10 seconds to get it right. Not sure why they don't just look them up to confirm what's what?

*Edit: they now have pics of the Classic Lite so even though the model name is wrong, at least the pics should keep most people from making a mistake.

Last edited:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a Custom anything.... just a Classic Lite. A Custom Classic Lite would have Block inlays, Binding on the headstock with the split diamond inlay. No confusion for me,... the listing is wrong. Well....as of 10 am NM time..... could get fixed sooner or later. Can only hope.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Not a Custom anything.... just a Classic Lite. A Custom Classic Lite would have Block inlays, Binding on the headstock with the split diamond inlay. No confusion for me,... the listing is wrong.

Ha! I think I've confused y'all with my rambling post.

I know the difference. Most would.

But, and here's where I may have not been clear, when the listing was just the incorrect model name with no pics/info, you wouldn't know. You don't see the block inlays. Nor headstock. You would be confused. Except possibly fur the fact that they priced it way too low for custom classic Light. I knew that as well but was hoping to get it anyway.

Also, my real point was that even after they initially got it wrong and were corrected, they still relisted incorrectly. For the second time.

Sorry again if my op threw some.

danzego

Reaction score
They don’t give a #%^* and that’s all there is to it. I bought a Friedman Smallbox from GC “brand new” last year. What I received was a beat up 6 year old head complete with dings and tattered tolex coming off the corners along with a footswitch that looked like someone scratched it with a screwdriver.

My regular salesguy had it shipped to the store (because telling him “ship it to my house” is one step more than he can remember during a transaction). I opened it up there, showed it to him, and he actually said to me, “Well, you knew it was going to be a floor model,” like I was going to have some realization and be ok with the poor condition.

They told me to take it home and ordered a new one direct from Friedman. That took 6-8 months or so to finally arrive (understandable due to Covid and the fire at B.A.D. factory). When I went home with the new one, GC relisted the one I returned (and probably about 15 other people before me) as brand new. :facepalm:

They just don’t care at GC and they have no attention to detail.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
It's GC. What, you expect professionalism and honesty from wanna be musicians?

TheX

Not a Navy SEAL
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have 3 GC's, and I love shopping them. I buy a lot of used gear from them. All positive experiences.

pondcaster

Reaction score
We have 3 GC's, and I love shopping them. I buy a lot of used gear from them. All positive experiences.
Same here, glad I'm not the only one.

A bit of knowledge + 30 years buying/selling + thorough research + appropriate expectations + liberal return policy = positive experiences for me, too.

Forgot to add a dash of good luck as well.

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
So I'm one of those guys who occasionally checks GC used online listings to see if I can ever find a decent price on a LPC and last Thursday one popped up that would be of interest to me. A Custom Classic Light! For $1469? About 2k Les than it should be? Wow, I've never seen one for sale so I immediately added to my cart and was getting ready to purchase when I noticed it didn't add the LPCC but an Epiphone Jerry Cantrell instead? Wtf? Within minutes, Kept trying but then it would only error out saying could not add to cart?

Custom Classic Light

Classic Lite

Now I'm usually a fan of GC having worked with them for the last thirty years. Always had positive experiences and a big fan of my sorta local one in Sparkleburg SC.

But c'mon GC! It's these kinds of things that give y'all a bad name. Everyone makes mistakes and not knowing the various models released over the years isn't a crime. But once you know the facts, how can you ignore them and go ahead and post a fraudulent listing? Not a terrible priced for a classic Lite but not only is it false advertising but it's 99% gonna bring an return, no?

Anyhoo, just my venting. Did any other MLPr see/show interest in this one?

* Edit: Should have mentioned there were no pics on the listing since it was so recent
I actually saw the exact listing and almsost bought it myself but having had similar experiences and problems with GC used in the past, I opted not to go for it without pictures. Guess my intuition was right.

Still many cool deals on there but I’ve had so many mixups like this happen, I somewhat expect it. Luckily they’re always great about returns if something isn’t as described.

Most recently I got a “Murphy Lab” LP Custom that turned out to be regular VOS. Let the store know and returned it..they relisted it as a Murphy Lab again and kept the original higher price.

There was also a vintage “Kramer”…that clearly said Hamer on the headstock.

I really don’t mind though, I just sort of get a laugh and move on and thankfully they’ve always done right by me if something wasn’t as described. I’d say it’s par for the course in a big box high volume retailer.

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
I love the fact the GC doesn't know what the hell they are doing most of the time. I've made some deals that would never have occurred at any normal competent business.

Many moons ago the GCs in my area were worth visiting. In the past 15 years or so the only thing I buy new at Guitar Center are strings and picks.

moreles

Reaction score
I don't understand why people who shop GC regularly are surprised when GC operates like GC. Most do not have expert staff. They are by no means a genuinely professional guitar shop as they do tons of pro audio and other stuff. They're a big box, high-turnover retailer. So as they say in school, "check your work." GC knows they are not scrupulous, and they maintain a good return policy for that reason. And while I don't think GC gets the best merchandise from their suppliers, the occasional, unrecognized used stuff that slips through and gets sold at too-low prices can be a great deal. Of the 4 GCs in my area, one is good, one is mediocre, and two are flat-out hot messes. Expecting them to become true, professional guitar shops is just a mistake. They don't even pretend to be. They're known for sales prices and access to a nationwide supply of used gear, not for great guitars, knowledgeable salespeople, or setup and repair.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
They don’t give a #%^* and that’s all there is to it. I bought a Friedman Smallbox from GC “brand new” last year. What I received was a beat up 6 year old head complete with dings and tattered tolex coming off the corners along with a footswitch that looked like someone scratched it with a screwdriver.

My regular salesguy had it shipped to the store (because telling him “ship it to my house” is one step more than he can remember during a transaction). I opened it up there, showed it to him, and he actually said to me, “Well, you knew it was going to be a floor model,” like I was going to have some realization and be ok with the poor condition.

They told me to take it home and ordered a new one direct from Friedman. That took 6-8 months or so to finally arrive (understandable due to Covid and the fire at B.A.D. factory). When I went home with the new one, GC relisted the one I returned (and probably about 15 other people before me) as brand new. :facepalm:

They just don’t care at GC and they have no attention to detail.

Ordered a used Ovation years ago from GC with ship to store.

Get a call from my local store saying it arrived. And.... they're trying to set the action.

What? Why?

Go up to the store and discover the neck set from the factory was so bad there was no setting the action.

They ran a refund.

Few days later it was listed online for sale at their store.

They don't care is a correct statement.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Came across this tonight, it gave me a chuckle…either Pau Ferro fretboards are a selling point now, or Mr.Paul Ferro just got a signature guitar. :rofl:

1-E8-E3595-80-F2-4883-82-C3-D68-CB3-F842-DD.jpg

Reaction score
I will never buy from Fraud Center. stems from an a-hole sales twerp from over 25 years ago. They are never getting a penny from me. Seems they are still up to their fraudulent practices too.

DrumBob

Reaction score
It's GC. You're usually dealing with clueless kids making minimum wage. I wish they'd just fold up and die a slow death.

webslinger60

Reaction score
One of the GC near me, has a racket going on with used merch. If anything good & fair price comes in, one of the staff holds (hides) it for a local friend of his who puts a small deposit on it so it cant be displayed. Then the guy buys it, and a week later it's on Craigs List for 2 or 3 times what he paid for it. I can only assume the employee gets a cut. This is unfair to the rest of us. I dont know why the management allows this.

lwchafin

Reaction score
Never had a problem with a GC purchase. I've bought several guitars from them - all new - probably half in store and half on line. Only had to return one for some reason I can't recall now, but it was an easy peasy issue that got resolved with a replacement guitar. Oly issue I ever really had was with one snotty employee in the NYC store down on 14th St. Didn't want my kid - who was 14 at the time and very good for that age (had just been to Berkley for their 5 week program and was feeling pretty good about his playing) - to play a JEM unless my wife & I would agree that we'd buy it if he damaged it. Asked to speak with the manager, did so, and he ended up playing it for a good half hour, didn't damage it, and we didn't buy it there. He did buy one, maybe from MF? - that he got for the same price, untouched by 14 year old would-be Steve Vais, and he still has to this day some 11 years later.

Latest Threads