Tried out a new 70s Deluxe

Musha Ring

Reaction score
On the weekend. Man, what a sweet, sweet guitar it was. One of the lightest LPs I've ever picked up. And the mini hums sounded fantastic. Couldn't help but get my Thin Lizzy on.

I don't see much talk about them around here. Any proud owners? Anyone else tried one and loved it? Hated it?

jbash

Reaction score
Unlike many, I LOVE Minis. And I love Deluxes. Always did. I had a horrible late 70s one (because, Robbo) and then later I had a 2004-ish MF special run that was amazing- nice rounded chunky neck, gorgeous figured plain maple top, and one of the best Les Pauls I ever owned. I should have kept it.

I'd love to have one of these new ones- just wish they had something besides CSB and Goldtop. Need a Tobacco, or Vintage Sunburst to get me interested (and $2500 to throw around ;) )

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike many, I LOVE Minis. And I love Deluxes. Always did. I had a horrible late 70s one (because, Robbo) and then later I had a 2004-ish MF special run that was amazing- nice rounded chunky neck, gorgeous figured plain maple top, and one of the best Les Pauls I ever owned. I should have kept it.

I'd love to have one of these new ones- just wish they had something besides CSB and Goldtop. Need a Tobacco, or Vintage Sunburst to get me interested (and $2500 to throw around ;) )
get an 18 classic and swap out the p90s for minis

-chris

Musha Ring

Reaction score
get an 18 classic and swap out the p90s for minis

-chris
I've thought about doing this, but the fat 50s neck on the 70s Deluxe really does it for me personally.

Now if only I had $3500 and nothing better to spend it on...

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
A guy I played with back in the 70s had a gold top Special with minis. It weighed a ton but sounded great (except when this character played it!). I'd not have played with him except I was dating his sister, so I had to keep the family happy. He's now a facebook pal and still playing. She's a commercial fluke fisherman in Alaska, and doesn't look quite like she did in high school! :cool:

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
are these new 70's minihumbuckers the same ones they put in the Firebird? I heard that the firebird minis are different from the Deluxe minis they used in the 70's

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i need that trem….love those so much…yet to own
how do u like it?
Gorgeous goldie btw

-chris
I like the trem. It's double action so it warbles in two directions. I also like that it's 1/3 or less the cost of a Bigsby and Vibramate ;)
This Tribute is a keeper. Mainly because it's my only Les Paul, and I will never get back what I've spent on it (although it's total cost was way below what a Trib sells for now.)

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
are these new 70's minihumbuckers the same ones they put in the Firebird? I heard that the firebird minis are different from the Deluxe minis they used in the 70's
they sound pretty close(at least on the 2015s I’ve played—-if u can ignore the boost and lack of tone control)…
but it’s hard to say…70s lp minis are so good and I’m often biased as I know I’m playing such a cool guitar from the 70s

granted my only pair I own currently are in an sg

-chris

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mini humbuckers and Firebird pickups are completely different. A mini is a small PAF. Gibson sells one that is made the same as a '70s model. That's what I have in the Tribute ^^ up there. A Firebird pickup has a bar magnet on edge inside each bobbin. I don't know what's under the solid covers of the pickups that Gibson calls minis.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bout this one?
not tobacco But still cool…again, u can swap out for minis

I have one of these in a Gold Top.... I made it a poor mans '56..... but it still has the original coil tap P90s....that's right...the single coil P90 has a Tap (split coil) and they work fantastic. Though a pair of mini-hums would make it a nice Deluxe.

IMG_0016.jpg

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one of these in a Gold Top.... I made it a poor mans '56..... but it still has the original coil tap P90s....that's right...the single coil P90 has a Tap (split coil) and they work fantastic. Though a pair of mini-hums would make it a nice Deluxe.

View attachment 566566
thats glorious…absolutely glorious

-chris

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Huge thin Lizzy fan here. Always wanted a Les Paul with mini humbuckers. But as someone else said on this forum recently, the problem with mini humbuckers is that you can fit a p90 in the rout, and in my opinion, you can't beat a p90.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a Goldie that came with the new Gib slick top minis.... I think they are 'blade' pickups... Just could not bond with them and there are no pole adjustments...

I pulled em and replaced with GFS minis and put a Toneman's 50's harness in it... Badass guitar.... With the changes, it sounds like a late 60's Deluxe to me...

Latest Threads